Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on September 22. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

Brief chat this week. No bonus Q&As, either.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... 14001.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Does Franmil Reyes get a major league contract this off-season?

Anthony Franco
I think the Cubs non-tender him, but he does get a lower-base MLB deal. Something like Vogelbach's $1MM deal with Pittsburgh.
What is the Reds 1st priority this off season?

Anthony Franco
Similar story to the Tigers, I think. Probably use 2023 as an evaluative year, particularly for the young starting pitchers, with an eye towards earnest contention in '24 once Votto and Moustakas come off the books.

I think any additions will be mostly around the margins of the roster, but they'll have to bring in a couple veteran relievers and add some outfield help. Can't run it back relying on Aquino, Friedl and Senzel as often as they have this year.
Adrian Sampson, Hayden Wesneski, Keegan Thompson, Justin Steele, Javier Assad… which 3 join Stroman and Hendricks in the ‘23 rotation (assuming no signings/trades)?

Anthony Franco
Steele, Thompson, Wesneski probably get the first crack (plus an outside addition). Assad has never really been a prospect, Sampson's had a nice season, but is a journeyman swing-type overall.
Who are your dark horse candidates for any awards?

Anthony Franco
I don't know if it's really a dark horse, but I think Framber Valdez should get serious consideration for AL Cy Young.

NL Rookie of the Year is going to come down to Michael Harris/Spencer Strider, but the #3 spot is pretty wide open. I'd have Brendan Donovan there right now.

Tags: