Offseason move[] thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Offseason moves thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Edman is perfect as a 9th place hitter in a DH league. It’s also why I still don’t think his WAR is really as valuable as someone who generates most of it with the bat.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I think Edman could turn out to be a great SS... placeholder for Wynn.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

GeddyWrox wrote:
November 30 22, 11:01 am
Listening to 101 this morning on my drive in. They briefly mentioned that Moz was speaking to someone (I'm forgetting who, maybe Goold or someone at the Athletic) and said something to the effect of:
"Edman is a really good SS. We really like him there." To which, Randy Karraker was like "yeah, we can put to bed any dreams about upgrading at SS this year."

I think this is the origin, Rosenthal's most recent notes column: https://theathletic.com/3951194/2022/11 ... es-astros/
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak, in a telephone conversation Tuesday, made it clear the team’s No. 1 priority is acquiring an everyday catcher. Asked about the possibility of adding a shortstop, Mozeliak said, “Tommy Edman is a very, very good shortstop.”

Mozeliak allowed that a change in the marketplace could prompt him to adjust at short, but it’s doubtful he could strike a bargain in free agency or in a trade. As for the outfield, Mozeliak said the Cardinals have numerous options, describing top prospect Jordan Walker “as the biggest wild card.” He did not rule out a veteran addition, but such a player likely would be a backup behind Tyler O’Neill, Dylan Carlson and Lars Nootbaar.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

mikechamp wrote:
November 30 22, 12:01 pm
I think Edman could turn out to be a great SS... placeholder for Wynn.
Yup, exactly this.

Spending any type of our limited budget on SS would be crazy since there isn't an immediate hole to fill and we have a high end prospect on the way.

Catcher, starting pitcher, left handed outfield bat, and relief pitching (in that order) need to be the off season focus.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
November 29 22, 7:01 pm
TGantz wrote:
November 29 22, 6:10 pm
Oh my god the off season is so boring. I always get into the team at the end of the season just in time to lose interest over winter.
I really prefer the NHL offseason, when the draft happens, then free agency lasts all of a few hours with a flurry of signings.
Since there is no salary cap in baseball, there's no rush by teams to make moves.

And if you're not a top player, you're almost always better off waiting until the top players sign, to drive up your own price. For instance, if deGrom leaves the Mets, the Mets are now scrambling to replace him with someone like Verlander. And then someone like Bassit has more leverage as well, since supply is going down.

Just the economic nature of the non salary cap league beast.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Yeah that's why there aren't moves

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 30 22, 12:47 pm
Yeah that's why there aren't moves
I detect some blue font.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
November 30 22, 12:17 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
Listening to 101 this morning on my drive in. They briefly mentioned that Moz was speaking to someone (I'm forgetting who, maybe Goold or someone at the Athletic) and said something to the effect of:
"Edman is a really good SS. We really like him there." To which, Randy Karraker was like "yeah, we can put to bed any dreams about upgrading at SS this year."

I think this is the origin, Rosenthal's most recent notes column: https://theathletic.com/3951194/2022/11 ... es-astros/
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak, in a telephone conversation Tuesday, made it clear the team’s No. 1 priority is acquiring an everyday catcher. Asked about the possibility of adding a shortstop, Mozeliak said, “Tommy Edman is a very, very good shortstop.”

Mozeliak allowed that a change in the marketplace could prompt him to adjust at short, but it’s doubtful he could strike a bargain in free agency or in a trade. As for the outfield, Mozeliak said the Cardinals have numerous options, describing top prospect Jordan Walker “as the biggest wild card.” He did not rule out a veteran addition, but such a player likely would be a backup behind Tyler O’Neill, Dylan Carlson and Lars Nootbaar.
Yep, that was it! Thanks!

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 30 22, 11:56 am
Edman is perfect as a 9th place hitter in a DH league. It’s also why I still don’t think his WAR is really as valuable as someone who generates most of it with the bat.
You can think it's not quite as exciting to watch someone really good at defence / less good with the bat (I tend to agree) but I'd be interested to know what your opinion would be the first time a bat-first Cardinal SS let a game-winning hit go by them. Do you think WAR overrates all defence, or just Edman's? Genuine question, having seen stats come and stats go.

If you think fWAR is useful / accurate, though, wanting to upgrade from the guy who was top 20 in all of baseball last year (the only people who were better at SS last year were Swanson, Bogaerts, Turner and Lindor) does seem a bit odd. I think there are positions the Cardinals are much more likely to go shopping for.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
November 30 22, 12:17 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:

They need an OF'er more than a SS as O'Neill and Carlson will miss significant time. But C should be the priority.