Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Post Reply
User avatar
TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me
Posts: 5783
Joined: July 27 06, 11:59 pm
Location: The Lou

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by TGantz »

I'd be down for journalists to push a little more and not be such a PR machine for ownership. On the flip side, there's nothing worse than Yankees and Phillies media and how much they and their fan base rip on the team. That is tiresome too. But I feel like we have a decent balance.

User avatar
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 9584
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by mikechamp »

I wonder if Jeff Albert will be asked about it in his Mets press conference. That may be where we finally get the answer.

User avatar
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3349
Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Location: Cherokee

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Famous Mortimer »

TGantz wrote:
November 15 22, 11:01 am
I'd be down for journalists to push a little more and not be such a PR machine for ownership. On the flip side, there's nothing worse than Yankees and Phillies media and how much they and their fan base rip on the team. That is tiresome too. But I feel like we have a decent balance.
I agree. I don't want the press to rag on the team, but I want them to report the things that are going on. I'd love to know why Albert left, and I'm certain that Goold knows. He should report that! Not "well, here's a slightly reworded press release from the FO".

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21038
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Socnorb11 »

If Jeff Albert really cared about making a statement, couldn't he fo it via Twitter?

User avatar
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole
Posts: 12996
Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Socnorb11 wrote:
November 15 22, 3:54 pm
If Jeff Albert really cared about making a statement, couldn't he fo it via Twitter?
Does he have to want to? The point is the reporting was bad and clearly a Mo ballwash with no fact checking. Sure he could “clear things up” but that was never the point. Nor should he have to be the one constantly clearing his name when it’s fans and media pushing this straw man the entirety of his stay here. Without knowing all the things Fat Strat said earlier in the thread.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21038
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
November 15 22, 9:24 pm
Socnorb11 wrote:
November 15 22, 3:54 pm
If Jeff Albert really cared about making a statement, couldn't he fo it via Twitter?
Does he have to want to? The point is the reporting was bad and clearly a Mo ballwash with no fact checking. Sure he could “clear things up” but that was never the point. Nor should he have to be the one constantly clearing his name when it’s fans and media pushing this straw man the entirety of his stay here. Without knowing all the things Fat Strat said earlier in the thread.

Perhaps the reason he's not clearing things up is because there's nothing to clarify. Or maybe he thinks it's ridiculous that fans are even making an issue of it. It's really nothing.

This isn't 1985. Everyone has a voice, via the internet. Let's not pretend that he's been silenced.

User avatar
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3349
Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Location: Cherokee

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Did anyone say he'd been silenced?

I just want baseball writers to do their job.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21038
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Socnorb11 »

You want them to create a juicy story where there is none. As Goold said, his stock was high. He took advantage. Good for him. I'm not even sure what the conspiracy theory is here.

It's essentially non-story.

User avatar
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3349
Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Location: Cherokee

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Socnorb11 wrote:
November 16 22, 8:05 am
You want them to create a juicy story where there is none. As Goold said, his stock was high. He took advantage. Good for him. I'm not even sure what the conspiracy theory is here.

It's essentially non-story.
But Mozeliak said he just didn't like criticism, and that's why he left. Is that true, or is it that his stock was high? I'd like to know, even if you really, really don't.

Again, I didn't say there was a conspiracy theory, or that people are being silenced. Perhaps you could stop putting words in my mouth?

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21038
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Jeff Albert and Mike Maddux not returning to the Cardinals

Post by Socnorb11 »

Mo said that he left because he felt like too much of the outside blame was directed at him. That's completely believable. Maybe he felt like Mo should take more of the heat, and he didn't want to be the scapegoat anymore. I wouldn't blame him a bit for that, and with his stock being high, the time was right to move on.

Jeff Albert saying as much publicly would make him look a bit petty. He's wise yo move on quietly. For his sake, I'm glad that the media didn't press the issue.

Post Reply