11/2 GDT - WS Gm 4 Astros at Phillies: Javier vs Nola 7:03 CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: 11/2 GDT - WS Gm 4 Astros at Phillies: Javier vs Nola 7:03 CT

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

If perhaps not popular music, Moneyball has absolutely ruined the no hitter. It’s too easy now, and it’s hard to get excited about it when managers absolutely don’t give a [expletive].

That said, nice little response from the New Evil Empire last night.

Tags:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It's still so hard to take anything that the Astros are doing at face value given that they've been caught cheating multiple times, and the punishments they've received from the commissioner's office have been laughable to nonexistent.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 3 22, 10:17 am
It's still so hard to take anything that the Astros are doing at face value given that they've been caught cheating multiple times, and the punishments they've received from the commissioner's office have been laughable to nonexistent.
Also, "Thank God we got [closer's name I forgot]!"

They are always carving out new ways to be hated. They are the Alex Bregman apologizing of baseball teams.

It will be hard to hate them more if they spend $700 million on payroll next season.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
November 3 22, 10:34 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 3 22, 10:17 am
Also, "Thank God we got [closer's name I forgot]!"

They are always carving out new ways to be hated. They are the Alex Bregman apologizing of baseball teams.

It will be hard to hate them more if they spend $700 million on payroll next season.
Everything about them is extremely cynical. Yuli Gurriel was extremely racist in a World Series and got a suspension of 5 games to be served during the start of next season, which he served while injured. The Commissioner's office said the only punishment that could be handed out for cheating in the 2019 World Series was fan disapproval. They then got to play a season without fans (beyond their control, I know), and now that fans are back, writers are immediately jumping to say enough is enough. Nothing has disincentivized them from cheating as far as I can tell. Luhnow is the only person who's been sufficiently blackballed. Otherwise, the team got a relatively small, one-time fine and loss of draft picks. The fact that they are still in the World Series year after year should signal that they weren't punished enough.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 3 22, 10:57 am
now that fans are back, writers are immediately jumping to say enough is enough.
A good proportion of writers are either:
* paid by a local media outlet, and are not really independent in any sense we'd understand it
* aware that if this thread continued to be pulled, they'd find something where the writer was aware of a thing but didn't report it due to loyalty to "the boys".

(local example: when was the first Post-Dispatch writer to criticise McGwire for PEDs? When did they find out about it? I'd bet there's a pretty large gap between the two dates)

As to the rest of what you said, I completely agree. I don't think any US sport is entirely clean, but if I was getting interested in baseball, the behaviour of the team owners and commissioner would not encourage me to give MLB my money every year. Even decent, independent media like Jomboy seems to have the party line of "they were cheats, but now they're just fantastic". Do I believe that? I'm not sure.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I really feel cheated about no fans in 2020. There would have been some really clever/hilarious antics/visuals. That catharsis would have gone a long way.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 22, 6:53 am
JoeMcKim wrote:
November 2 22, 11:55 pm
cardsfantx wrote:
November 2 22, 7:40 pm
November 2 22, 6:44 pm
Smoltz doesn’t bother me much, but he could say half as many things. I would like that better.

Where’s Joe Buck?
ESPN

And Buck only has a deal to do football on ESPN.
He has no contract with FOX; it expired and he’s only under contract with ESPN.
I know that Buck and Aikman made the jump to ESPN to do MNF. But I was saying he had a contract with FOX to do baseball and football but his contract now with ESPN is only for football.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

JoeMcKim wrote:
November 3 22, 1:59 pm
cardsfantx wrote:
November 3 22, 6:53 am
JoeMcKim wrote:
November 2 22, 11:55 pm
cardsfantx wrote:
November 2 22, 7:40 pm
November 2 22, 6:44 pm
Smoltz doesn’t bother me much, but he could say half as many things. I would like that better.

Where’s Joe Buck?
ESPN

And Buck only has a deal to do football on ESPN.
He has no contract with FOX; it expired and he’s only under contract with ESPN.
I know that Buck and Aikman made the jump to ESPN to do MNF. But I was saying he had a contract with FOX to do baseball and football but his contract now with ESPN is only for football.
And what I’m saying is he does not have a contract with FOX for anything anymore.

The only current contract he has is for ESPN.

Was just responding to why no joe buck; that’s why. He doesn’t have a contract with FOX any longer.