Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on November 1. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

A more regular length chat this time. I included 1 bonus Q&A about player chats in the offseason.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... 14289.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gorman/Hence get it done for Murphy?

Steve Adams
The A's tend to like volume packages, so I'd expect some 3rd/4th pieces from further down the Cardinals' system in that scenario -- and maybe you see Oakland include a reliever or something to help balance it all out. But I generally think there's a reasonable enough framework in there.
is STL a realistic fit for Swanson, move Edman back to 2nd? Imagine that INF.

Is this finally the year Mo lands a premier FA ($100+ mill contract)?

Steve Adams
The Cards already have a pair of $100MM+ contracts on the books (Goldy, Arenado) and a projected payroll of more than $157MM next season before adding anyone. I know Mozeliak said payroll will increase, and you should absolutely take him at his word on that, but adding another nine-figure deal to Goldy and Arenado is a lot to forecast.

On paper, sure I can see how they can sign Swanson and get him into the payroll, and yeah, the infield defense would be great. I don't know that I consider that the likeliest outcome for Swanson or the Cardinals, but it's at least feasible.
How would you rank the following teams in likelihood of signing Willson Contreras? Guardians, Cubs, Cardinals, and Mets.

Steve Adams
I don't by any means think it's going to be that quartet of teams alone, but they all make sense. Cardinals, Mets, Cubs, Guardians if you want me to rank them, I suppose. Cards have the need, money and no obvious starter. Mets have the money and a starter they'd like to upgrade over. Cubs have had forever to extend him, didn't get it done, but have the money/need. (I think they'll go another direction.) Guardians... I'm just never going to pick them as a landing spot for any free agent who I expect to command $80MM+.
The Cards have to be in on Thor, right? His power sinker mixed with our infield defense could make him a Cy young contender again.

Steve Adams
Syndergaard had a 42% ground-ball rate (below average) and averaged 93.9 mph on his sinker in 2022. It's not really the power stuff it was pre-surgery.
Burnes seems like the kinda guy that would fit really well in Baltimore. Does a package centered around DL Hall, Jordan Westburg and Austin Hays entice the Brewers enough to move him?

Steve Adams
I don't think that's nearly enough for Corbin Burnes, no.
Is there even a plan in Cincinnati? I'm sure David Bell will be sacrificed soon, but of course no manager could succeed with this mess.

Steve Adams
Yeah there's really nothing to pin on Bell here. The Reds spent and acquired talent to give him basically one chance at contending, in the shortened 2020 season. Everything since then has been slashing payroll. I think it's actually a credit to Bell that they were even close to contending in '21, when the team's most notable moves that offseason were to dump Raisel Iglesias for nothing, non-tender Archie Bradley and Curt Casali, etc.
Speaking of player chats, anymore on they way? They were awesome!

Steve Adams
Yeah I think we're going to aim to get some more lined up. They were well received and frankly just fun for us to follow along with, too. There were a few really great ones in there.

Tags:

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I always love the questions from fans of X team wanting a superstar - "do you think three or four crappy players will get it done for MVP-level guy?"

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by Leroy »

David Bell is a world series hero though.