Hall Of Famer

Re: Matt Holliday announced as bench coach

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I assume something personal happened that made him change his mind

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Look if I had Matt Holliday's money, I'd never work again a day in my life, that's a promise.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Good for Matt.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Never trust an Okie.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Personally, IMO IMO IMO, I am okay with this. We need to fully turn the page from that Matheny era of dudes like Molina, Carpenter, Holliday, etc.
I am more concerned about the hitting coach. Turner Ward doesn't inspire confidence.

McEwing is cool too.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on January 12 23, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Our season is over.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

"When it came down to it, I just didn't want to miss all the things with my kids," Holliday told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday morning. "In theory, four months out it seemed like something I wanted. As it got closer, I just felt like I stopped playing (in the majors) because I didn't want to miss all the things you miss. When you say 'yes' to something you say 'no' to something else."
Part of Holliday's role with the team was going to be working with hitters and hitting coach Turner Ward. With Holliday's decision, the Cardinals added Daniel Nicolaisen, a minor-league hitting coordinator with the Cardinals, to the big-league staff as the third hitting coach.

Patrick “Packy” Elkins, who has been assisting the hitters and hitting coaches in recent seasons, will expand his responsibilities by working with both pitchers and hitters when it comes to analytics and scouting.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardsfantx wrote:
January 12 23, 12:41 pm
"When it came down to it, I just didn't want to miss all the things with my kids," Holliday told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday morning. "In theory, four months out it seemed like something I wanted. As it got closer, I just felt like I stopped playing (in the majors) because I didn't want to miss all the things you miss. When you say 'yes' to something you say 'no' to something else."
Part of Holliday's role with the team was going to be working with hitters and hitting coach Turner Ward. With Holliday's decision, the Cardinals added Daniel Nicolaisen, a minor-league hitting coordinator with the Cardinals, to the big-league staff as the third hitting coach.

Patrick “Packy” Elkins, who has been assisting the hitters and hitting coaches in recent seasons, will expand his responsibilities by working with both pitchers and hitters when it comes to analytics and scouting.
Nicolaisen comes from a softball background. Big data guy. I like the outside-the-box thinking at least with him. Elkins seems good too--he was first/third base coach a few games last year IIRC.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

heyzeus wrote:
January 12 23, 12:39 pm
Our season is over.
At least in terms of taking a Holliday.