Alex Reyes Non-tendered (Signed by the Dodgers)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Alex Reyes Non-tendered

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Just trade 'em. You're going to lose a few trades but it's the exception.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 17 23, 2:10 pm
This is true. Senzel was the top prospect one year. Even Benintendi was the number one prospect once.

Trade them always. Exceptions happen.

You can always fix bad trades with free agent signings too. A La Mets and Rangers.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Just trade the prospects!!!!!! HUH?

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 17 23, 2:10 pm
I've aged into this. As a young man, I saw Albert Pujols come through our farm(and he wasnt even a prospect). It made me want to root for our young guys, no matter who they were. I want opposing teams to fear our veterans, and absolutely crap themselves when they cant pitch around our young hitters either.

For me, the writing on the wall has always been there; i collect baseball cards, and have since about 10 years old. When i go back through the years of collecting, the only Rookie cards that are worth anything are far and few between. Unless they are Hall of Fame players, the value of their cards are about nil. Get into the steroid era and its even more hit or miss. Modern baseball cards arent any better. I have a pretty good assortment of "cant miss" prospects from Josh Hamilton to Colby Rasmus to Tatis. Most of which are nothing but glorified outhouse wallpaper anymore.

So yes, trade them kids. Most wont have careers longer than 5 years.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Different rules for different teams.

Higher payroll teams should be leaning towards trading prospects since they can just spend on top players in free agency.

Lower payroll teams need to hold on to their prospects, and then dump them for more prospects before they get expensive.

As we know, the Cardinals are in the middle from a payroll perspective. Sometimes, a trade can be made for prospects (Goldy, Arenado, Ozuna...even if they don't always work out). Sometimes the prospects are too valuable to give up (Walker+ for Soto).

Bottom line, the Cardinals cannot always trade prospects and expect to compete for a playoff spot every year. The current approach (trading some prospects, but not all) is the smart approach for Mo.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It’s so easy to replace prospects. And then you get guys like Noot who were drafted in the 8th round and never was a top 100 prospect. It’s just that easy.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 17 23, 3:32 pm
It’s so easy to replace prospects. And then you get guys like Noot who were drafted in the 8th round and never was a top 100 prospect. It’s just that easy.
Then why are the Cardinals consistently more successful than their NL Central counterparts?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Because the NL Central is dogwater

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

If the Cardinals hadn't traded Alcantara, we wouldn't be questioning why they didn't overpay for Verlander. .

I don't think you can make a "just trade 'em" blanket statement. Sometimes you should, sometimes you shouldn't.

More importantly, the Cardinals need to do a better job of drafting and developing elite prospects. That solves all kinds of problems.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Socnorb11 wrote:
January 17 23, 3:57 pm
If the Cardinals hadn't traded Alcantara, we wouldn't be questioning why they didn't overpay for Verlander. .

I don't think you can make a "just trade 'em" blanket statement. Sometimes you should, sometimes you shouldn't.

More importantly, the Cardinals need to do a better job of drafting and developing elite prospects. That solves all kinds of problems.
I agree to a point, but you can only make decisions or choices based on the information that is known or available at that time. And when they traded for Ozuna, Reyes looked like the better prospect given what was known at the time.

You win some, you lose some.

I agree about the drafting and developing elite prospects. But with those, there is higher risk/reward factor. Some of those you will lose miserably on as well.

The Cardinals seem to have a lower risk tolerance in most aspects of the FO.