Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on November 27.

He still held his regular weekend chat. No bonus Q&As this time, though.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-14476.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Can the Yankees trade Torres, plus to Brewers for Woodruff?

Mark Polishuk
It will have to be a whole lot of "plus." The Brewers would rightly ask for a ton in any Woodruff deal.
If a player like Bryan Reynolds was back in the 1940’s, would he be the best player? The game has gotten so much stronger since then to make me think he’d be very good.

Mark Polishuk
I'd imagine pretty much any modern player would look incredible if time-traveled back to the 1940's. Of course, it'd be awkward for Reynolds to arrive ready to play ball, and then get immediately drafted into WW2.
Ian Happ- traded this offseason; traded at deadline; extended; or does he play out this year and yield a pick?

Mark Polishuk
My suspicion is that the Cubs make some significant moves this winter, so a trade (either now or at the deadline) doesn't seem too likely. If the team really is willing to start spending and contending again, an extension might be more feasible.
Cleveland trades Arias, Angel Martinez and Valera for Murphy.
Then trades Espino, Williams and Noel for Burnes.
All doable and legit WS contenders for the next 2 years, no?!

Mark Polishuk
The Guardians generally don't make those kind of big trades, but if they did want to package multiple prospects for a player, they would do one at most.

And Burnes may already be out of the Guards' preferred price range.
Do you see the Pirates added a pitcher?

Mark Polishuk
Cherington indicated that the Bucs would be adding pitching, and perhaps even on a multi-year contract.
Cards in on Trea Turner and then Murphy?

Mark Polishuk
Trading for Murphy seems like more of a Cardinals-esque move than going above and beyond to sign a top-tier free agent.
Does Burnes or Woodruff get traded this offseason, or is it all smoke and wishful thinking from other teams?

Mark Polishuk
Seems like mostly wishful thinking. The Hader trade re-opened the "omg, the Brewers are dealing everyone!" floodgates, but Milwaukee must certainly think they can reload and contend for 2023.

This isn't to say that Burnes and/or Woodruff won't eventually be traded. In fact, I'd be shocked if both are long-term stays in Milwaukee. But, it seems too early for the Brewers to move either right now.
Are the Brewers slimming the budget or is the new front office tearing it down?

Mark Polishuk
It's not a teardown. Arnold hasn't done anything that wasn't already rumored to happen, since there was speculation that Renfroe was a trade candidate. If the Brewers really were entering a teardown, they wouldn't have picked up Wong's option.
Ian Happ for Oscar Colas: Who says no?

Mark Polishuk
The White Sox, since Happ is only under control through 2023.
Who do you see as viable targets for the Pirates on multi-year deals? Speculation I've seen (including on MLBTR) revolves around Wacha and Manaea, but the latter definitely seems like more of a one-year deal. Do you think a reunion with Quintana could be in the cards? He was loved by the other pitchers, seemed to like Pittsburgh, and his style would seemingly age well in PNC Park/the NL Central. I've been assuming he'll go to a contender, but he seems like the main multi-year target that's viable.

Mark Polishuk
You're probably right about Quintana, he'll move onto a bigger contract elsewhere. But in terms of finding the "next Quintana"... Wacha might be feasible, since his secondary metrics weren't great and other teams might balk at a multi-year pact.
Too expensive of a multi-year pact, I should say. If the bidding even gets to a second year.
Who, if anyone, will get an upcoming scholarship into the Hall of Fame?

Mark Polishuk
Seems like Rolen is the only candidate with a shot at getting voted in by the writers.  

For the veterans' committee ballot, there are enough good and controversial candidates that who knows how the votes will split.
If I had to predict, I'll say Rolen and (finally) Fred McGriff get the nod.

Tags:

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Popeye_Card »

I know Pirate fans don't have a heck of a lot to talk about, but it always amazes me how much Bryan Reynolds gets brought up in these chats.