Let's Talk Catchers!

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Let's Talk Catchers!

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Vázquez is pretty similar to late 2010s Yadi. Adequate but nothing more.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

heyzeus wrote:
December 1 22, 12:17 pm
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
December 1 22, 10:25 am
I keep thinking about how any of the storied franchises in the league would treat losing their future HoF catcher to retirement. If either NY team, the blue team in LA, etc were going to have to replace an Icon, I dont think they would do it shrewdly. I think they would make a splash. Even if they had dreams of graduating their top catching prospect in 2-3 years, I think they would make sure those few years were covered by the best all around catcher that was on either the trade or the free agent market. If StL isnt looking to do just that, then i think its just more evidence that we dont really belong in the "Top Teams/Franchises" conversation.
This post made me think. Obviously, Yadi Molinas don't grow on trees, and even the big market franchises don't always have a glamour boy catcher. So what have they done when such a guy retires/leaves?

Comp #1: Jorge Posada. Played all 17 years for the Yankees. Not a HOFer, but had a solid career (275 HR, .848 OPS, bunch of WS titles, 5 ASGs, one top-3 MVP finish).

What did the Yankees do the year after he retired? Signed a 2 year, $11.5 mil deal with Russell Martin. He had made 2 ASGs with the Dodgers at that point and was a solid player but not a superstar or anything.

Comp #2: Mike Piazza. Played 6.5 years for the Dodgers. HOFer. His whole stint with LA was ROY followed by all star appearances and MVP votes. In 98 they traded him (with Todd Zeile!) to the Marlins for a package that included Gary Sheffield, catcher prospect Charles Johnson, and a toasted Bobby Bonilla.

What did the Dodgers do the year after they trade Piazza? Gave the starts to Charles Johnson (then age 26) who put up a 70 OPS+, who they traded later that year for Arnie Gooch (lol) and Todd Hundley. Hundley held down C for two years, the second of which was pretty great but in only 90 games (143 OPS+).
Yeah, this is almost an unprecedented occurrence in modern baseball.

Google has Posada retiring in 2012, but the Yankees got Martin in 2011 - which looks like they took a flyer on his offense, after 2 years of mediocrity at the plate. From what the rest of the (available)catching class looked like then, NY got the best option they could find. The Piazza trade has haunted the Dodgers. Its about that time, they were playing 2nd fiddle to the Padres. Who knows what their plan was; they traded Piazza in May, and then had to shuck'n'jive to put someone behind the plate. in 1999 there were some solid catching options out there via trade, but guys like IROD, Kendall, and (lol)Piazza weren't getting traded at that time.

i just need to be more acceptant of the fact that Molina is basically irreplaceable, and leave it at that.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I would sign Contreras and still trade for Jansen

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 1 22, 12:31 pm
It doesn’t have to be necessarily a splash at catcher but an offseason highlighted by Vázquez and relievers would be a real kick to the dingding.
I chortled.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Tweets be buzzin'

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 1 22, 12:31 pm
It doesn’t have to be necessarily a splash at catcher but an offseason highlighted by Vázquez and relievers would be a real kick to the dingding.
Please, not the dingding!

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

CardsofSTL wrote:
December 1 22, 3:41 pm
I would sign Contreras and still trade for Jansen
same and then go get trea turner

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer