Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Yep
29%
Nope
61%
Leroy
3%
A nice piece of fish
6%

Total votes: 31

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by Socnorb11 »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
November 30 22, 6:40 pm
For the Blazers, yes absolutely. For the Cardinals... maybe--it doesn't matter, because when the Blazers win it in this scenario I'll be translated to heaven in a pillar of light.

For me it would depend on other factors, but probably. I've lived Cardinals championships. Do we add Trevor Bauer, or even lesser aholes to do it?
I like this response. Championships for the Cardinals specifically aren't AS important to me. Been there, done that. Not that I don't want more, but I am thankful that I've already lived that multiple times.

If it were the Nuggets or the Hawkeyes......give me the championship, for sure.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by JoeMcKim »

Its an easier decision for a team like the Royals since they're usually bottom of the league most of the time anyways so it was cool for their fanbase to be able to finally get their 2nd ring in 2015.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

There's something lovely about a well prepared fish dinner.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The canon of construction for contract interpretation is to read all clauses in context and apply their ordinary meaning. When the intent of the parties cannot be ascertained from the text, you can look at extrinsic evidence. But that's not necessary hear. The ordinary and customary meaning of the question is that your team wins the title, then the five immediately subsequent seasons will all be below a .500 winning percentage.

Jeez, y'all call yourselves lawyers and baseball fans.

@haltz you ask a totally different question. Start your own poll. No stolen poll valor for you.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

In that case I maintain my no vote. I'd rather have a better than 50% chance of watching a win any given day April through September than a few hours of euphoria in October 2023 followed by 5 years of meh.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Honestly I like getting beat in the first round of the playoffs. I got TV shows to watch in the Fall.

TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

YES.

In my lifetime the Buccos have had 4 winning seasons and 26 losing seasons. They have literally had 6+ losing seasons for every 1 winning season.

So in this situation I get a WORLD SERIES in exchange for 5 losing seasons.

HECK YES.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Yeah, I feel like you have a different perspective than most of us. I have seen 9 losing Cardinal seasons in my life, and I’m 43. Since I have been legally able to drink, we have had 1.

cardstatman
AAA Minor League Player

Post by cardstatman »

Hmmm. Glory for a few weeks after the 2023 season. Then watch the team get dismantled and bellyache for 5 years.

This is reverse tanking with guaranteed championship on the front.

No.

There's a 25 to 50 percent chance the Cards win a championship in those 6 years without having to sell their soul.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'd say no. I do remember the bad seasons of the 1970's, but I was younger then and more captivated by baseball in general. I could also laugh those seasons off back then. It helped that Jack Buck and Mike Shannon were hilarious at the ends of those seasons: They made bad baseball listenable while being brutally frank about the teams' shortcomings. I could also follow particular players like Gibson and Simmons.

I had the championship in 1982 to tide me over for a while.

I was finishing up grad school and starting my job in the late 80's through the 90's, so I wasn't following the Cardinals much then. Being in Philadelphia and Maine for several of those years meant I stopped following the team for a while.

If the Cardinals were playing really engaging young players, and there were a recognizable plan to the development of a new core of players, I would follow for two or three years, but probably check out after that. By year four or five, there's a clear problem, and I've got too many other options in my life. At my age, I'd probably check out for good.