Update: Dan McLaughlin Out (pg. 9), Chip Caray In (pg. 22)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Update: Dan McLaughlin Out (pg. 9), Chip Caray In (pg. 22)

Post by GeddyWrox »

I suppose it could have been worse. But.... Meh.

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Re: Update: Dan McLaughlin Out as Cardinals Broadcaster (pg. 9)

Post by KenBoyer14 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 23 23, 5:10 pm
KenBoyer14 wrote:
January 23 23, 4:43 pm
sighyoung wrote:
January 23 23, 4:24 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 23 23, 4:04 pm
lol Cardinals brand ain't what it used to be?

Or Bally cheap? Or Aaron must love life up here in the PNW and maybe getting a bump to full time PBP... Sims is getting stale and up there.

This [expletive] sucks. Goldsmith was the best possible replacement considering the pool of candidates.

Chip Caray is awful. Damn.
I would think the Mariners would up their offer to Goldsmith, and the Pacific Northwest is a great place to be, to be honest.
Yes, except for Seattle traffic. At certain times of the day, it makes L.A. look like a driver's paradise. Other than that, I enjoyed working there for 3 years.
I live here and it ain’t even close to LA plus train is expanding. It’s bad but it’s not that bad and it really depends on your endpoints.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I rotated between the two cities weekly for three years. In LA, there are a lot of options as far as freeways if you need to get somewhere. The 5, 10, 101, 110, 134, 210, 405, 605, 710, etc. In Seattle you have the 5 or the 405. Period. And if you are lucky enough to be where they merge at rush hours...good luck. We had a group doing this and all felt the same way about Seattle. Nice city, but not if you need to get somewhere in a car. You may have a point about "depends on your endpoints", but our trips from Boeing in Everett down to Tacoma were never fun drives. It didn't matter if we took the 5 or the 405. Both were parking lots.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I know nothing about goldsmith, but as I said a few pages ago I hated what I heard with the yelling/not understanding what he was saying.

Chip is a safe hire, yes, but he’s also a pretty dang good play by play guy.

I’m wondering if goldsmith pulled out as the cards waiting to see what happens with dan’s legal situation and if he’s not in the slammer, they let him come back when he’s sober and he wanted assurances it’s his job and not dan’s

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

cardsfantx wrote:
January 23 23, 11:46 pm
I know nothing about goldsmith, but as I said a few pages ago I hated what I heard with the yelling/not understanding what he was saying.

Chip is a safe hire, yes, but he’s also a pretty dang good play by play guy.

I’m wondering if goldsmith pulled out as the cards waiting to see what happens with dan’s legal situation and if he’s not in the slammer, they let him come back when he’s sober and he wanted assurances it’s his job and not dan’s
Chip now that I look at his bio isn't as ancient as I thought he was. But he's still more of a veteran who could spend a few years with the Cardinals than give the job back to Danny Mac. Goldsmith is only half way through his career and probably would only want to come to the Cardinals if he knew it would be for the rest of his career. Its probably also a lot easier of a move for Chip since his kids are already grown and out of the house while Aaron's are probably more of the high school or younger age.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

McLaughlin isn’t coming back.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

There was no way I could compete with that name. The "cards" were stacked against me.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

If I had to guess, I think Goldsmith knew they were leaning toward Chip and bowed out.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Ugh

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

mikechamp wrote:
January 24 23, 8:53 am
There was no way I could compete with that name. The "cards" were stacked against me.
Yep, with a name like Harry Christopher "Chip" Caray III you had no chance.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Update: Dan McLaughlin Out as Cardinals Broadcaster (pg. 9)

Post by Spider John »

cardsfantx wrote:
January 23 23, 1:32 pm
https://redbirdrants.com/posts/cardinal ... gqdn6f9914

some of his calls

i can't stand the yelling...and i don't understand what he's saying when he yells

hopefully his normal routine plays are subtle, as i just can't stand that yelling lol (reminds me of chris russo that i have to turn off every times he's on MLB network)
I know a lot of others like him, but I feel the same way.