Mets sign Jose Quintana

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Mets sign Jose Quintana

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

There is no ace coming. Quintana could approximate an ace, and for pennies. This is an ufck up.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
December 7 22, 11:23 am
There is no ace coming. Quintana could approximate an ace, and for pennies. This is an ufck up.
He could. Or he could turn back into the mediocre pitcher he was with the Cubs. If more teams were sold on him keeping up last year’s performance, he doesn’t sign this sort of deal.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

December 7 22, 11:23 am
The more likely scenario is Quintana reverts back to being a 3-4th starter which he has been for the last 6 years. I'm not against bringing him back, but I think it's setting yourself up for disappointment if you think he was likely to replicate what he did in his 62 innings here.

Expecting a guy with mediocre stuff to continue on this path of elite performance, I just don't see it. He gave up 1 HR in 62 innings. That's not sustainable.
Last edited by Magneto2.0 on December 7 22, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Quintana will be 34, has below average velocity, and had a clearly unsustainable run in a Cardinals uniform(if nothing else, that 1.9% HR/FB rate is gonna multiply). We'll have to wait to see what better projection systems say, but Steamer projects him at 2.0 fWAR in 31 starts. That doesn't make his Mets contract bad, but for a Cardinals rotation that is long on MLB caliber but short on all-star upside I think you'd prefer to invest in a SP that has more room for positive variance than Quintana likely has. For example, Andrew Heaney basically got the same deal as Quintana.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
December 7 22, 11:32 am
Quintana will be 34, has below average velocity, and had a clearly unsustainable run in a Cardinals uniform(if nothing else, that 1.9% HR/FB rate is gonna multiply). We'll have to wait to see what better projection systems say, but Steamer projects him at 2.0 fWAR in 31 starts. That doesn't make his Mets contract bad, but for a Cardinals rotation that is long on MLB caliber but short on all-star upside I think you'd prefer to invest in a SP that has more room for positive variance than Quintana likely has. For example, Andrew Heaney basically got the same deal as Quintana.
But also not with the Cardinals. We’re going to go with our middling rotation and then add another Quintana in July (at best, could be a Happ) and pretend we made a run for an ace. Better the Quintana you know in the hand than a thousand words, or whatever.

What we’re doing and going to do later doesnt match the upside we’ve seen Quintana realize, or at least certainly won’t exceed it. Even if I’m too high on it.

We lose here.
Last edited by BottenFieldofDreams on December 7 22, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Damn, I’d have loved q back on that deal

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

December 7 22, 11:36 am
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
December 7 22, 11:32 am
But also not with the Cardinals. We’re going to go with our middling rotation and then add another Quintana in July (at best, could be a Happ) and pretend we made a run for an ace. Better the Quintana you know in the hand than a thousand words, or whatever.

What we’re doing and going to do later doesnt match the upside we’ve seen Quintana realize, or at least certainly won’t exceed it. Even if I’m too high on it.

We lose here.
Rotation is already in a better spot this off-season than last because of Montgomery.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

We’ll miss even struck-midnight Q by the end of May.

At least it’s easy to picture. Maybe there’s more to come. I certainly hope so, but not with great energy.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

I think Woodford, if pressed for starting duty, would perform well.

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Post by KenBoyer14 »

You keep Waino, but you can't figure out a way to keep Quintana? Sure, Waino has a great Cardinal history, but who would you rather have starting 30 games next year? It's not even a close call.