Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on December 28. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

Pretty standard chat. I included 2 bonus Q&As: 1 about the timing of free agent trades and 1 about how the new shift rule might affect pitchers.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-cha ... 14681.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The Reds need a veteran starter. Who fits the bill?

Anthony Franco
Wacha and Cueto are probably the best players left. Don't really think Cincinnati's going to get either, though. A lower-cost Dylan Bundy or Zach Davies type feels likelier with their spending constraints.
Since the Cubs signed Swanson will the Cards decide to sign or trade for a new shortstop? Will they keep DeJong?

Anthony Franco
It's Edman's job more so than DeJong's, though I expect the latter will be on the roster as a glove-first backup infielder.

But no, I don't expect any outside additions at this point. There's probably no one better than Edman who's available in trade anyways, and they never seemed to consider middle infield a need in free agency.
As it stands right now, the Brewers are the (fill in the blank)…… best team in the NL. Might as well trade a couple of guys and retool.

Anthony Franco
I'd probably have them 7th in the NL but they're the second-best team in their division, which gives them a real chance to compete.

They could certainly win the NL Central and if you get into the playoffs, you can make a run.
I wouldn’t expect it costing too much, but would Baltimore part with a young prospect or 2 and maybe try to acquire Eric Lauer from the Brewers? He isn’t at the same level as Burnes or Woodruff but might be a very solid addition to the rotation.

Anthony Franco
Yeah I could see this. Lauer or Houser feel like viable targets for Baltimore.
Either Brandon Belt or Trey Mancini would be a nice fit on the Cubs, right?

Anthony Franco
Yeah they're both decent fits. Would like Mancini a little more since that'd easier shelter Mervis from left-handed pitching once he breaks into the mix.
Are the Brewers going to sign anyone this off season? If so, who do you think makes the most sense?

Anthony Franco
Could use another veteran bat in the outfield to play the McCutchen role. AJ Pollock or Chad Pinder, someone like that.
Brightest future: Pirates, Reds, or Cubs?

Anthony Franco
Cubs have the most MLB talent right now and the most spending capacity. I'll go with them.
Anyone signing Luke Voit?

Anthony Franco
Yeah he'll get a big league contract. Cubs, Rockies, Brewers all make some sense to me.
Explain when a newly signed free agent can be traded. I've heard June, but I can't find the rule.

Anthony Franco
They get automatic no-trade protection until June 15.
Can be dealt earlier if they agree to waive the clause. Joely Rodríguez did this last offseason to go from the Yankees to the Mets.
We hear a lot about hitters who will benefit from the new shift rules, but what about pitchers who have benefited the most from the shift. Which pitchers will miss it the most?

Anthony Franco
Haven't given this a ton of thought but it's an interesting question. Obviously ground-ball pitchers are going to most impacted, probably ones who throw right-handed since the shift's best at neutralizing lefty hitters.

Maybe it has the greatest effect on lower-velocity righties, since it's easier for left-handed hitters to pull stuff in the low-90's than it would be against someone like Hunter Greene.

Tags: