Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on December 31.

Yes, he held a chat on New Year's Eve night, a week after holding one on Christmas Eve night. I included 2 bonus Q&As: one about cash considerations and another about the postseason.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-liv ... 14697.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Should I trade DeJong, Herrera, and Liberatore to the Sox for Sale and some cash?

Mark Polishuk
I'd be hesitant to give up anything of value for a pitcher with Sale's injury history. If St. Louis was willing to move very good prospects like Herrera or Liberatore, they'd want more of a sure thing.
Hoping I am the chosen Reynolds question this week. What team (or 2 teams) do you think should be most motivated to make a compelling offer? I vote Rangers (seem all in elsewhere) and Yankees (huge hole in left field).

Mark Polishuk
I would suggest the Rays might be another interesting possibility.
Trade proposal. 3 team trade. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta. Atlanta sends Fried to Baltimore for Holliday and other prospects. Pittsburgh sends Reynolds to Atlanta for Grissom and prospect.

Mark Polishuk
As much fun as this would be, I'm not sure adding Reynolds and losing Fried (and Grissom) is anything more than a lateral move for an Atlanta team that is trying to win now. Losing Fried leaves a real hole in the rotation.
How valuable of a trade chip is the Mariners’ Comp A pick? Could they use it to sweeten a deal for Reynolds, Arozorena, or O’Neill and push the trade across the finish line?

Mark Polishuk
Given how Jerry Dipoto loves to make trades, that Comp A pick must be burning a hole in his pocket. Especially since the Mariners have already gotten a bonus pick back for Rodriguez's ROY-winning campaign.
Is Reynolds a better fit for a corner than for a team looking for a true CF?

Mark Polishuk
The public defensive metrics weren't keen on Reynolds in 2022, but at least OAA liked his work as recently as 2021. He isn't exactly a Gold Glove threat out there, but since center field help is so hard to come by, a team in need will probably be fine with Reynolds as long as he continues to hit.
What’s gonna happen with Madrigal after the Swanson signing? They even have McKinstry Morel and Mastrobuoni as infield depth.

Mark Polishuk
The Cubs are hoping to finally get Madrigal healthy for an extended stretch, but the question of where exactly they'll play him is a valid one. Perhaps Hoerner could be used in the OF to open up some time at second base, but a trade might also be a possibility, even if the Cubs must feel like they'd be selling low.
It would be pretty amusing if the Cubs just swapped Madrigal back to the White Sox.
What kind of return could the Cubs get for Ian Happ?

Mark Polishuk
They could get an okay return even with Happ only controlled for one season, but my hunch is that the Cubs will just keep Happ by this point. Maybe an extension candidate, or maybe someone they'd let walk in free agency.
Did Stearns leave Milwaukee because the financial constraints are too frustrating to deal with?

Mark Polishuk
Technically Stearns hasn't "left" Milwaukee. And Stearns knew what he was signing up for when he took the job in the first place --- the Brewers were never going to be huge spenders. If anything, Stearns has enjoyed way more financial leeway than any other Brewers executive, given their club-record spending.
Wouldn’t it make more sense long term to get rid of Stroman and Hendricks to see why they have in Thompson, Wesneski, Kilian?

Mark Polishuk
The Cubs are planning to compete in 2023, however, and they need some experienced arms in that rotation. Granted, Hendricks is far from a sure thing any more, but it is also quite possible 2023 is his last year anyway in Chicago.
Are these "cash considerations" trades ever anything more than a few hundred thousand dollars?

Mark Polishuk
I like to imagine it's an actual person with the unlikely name of Cash Considerations, forever frustrated at being dealt every couple of weeks.
Think we’ll ever see a time in the game when the league puts more weight on the regular season then frames the postseason more as a separate tournament? More and more players (most recently Verlander) seem pretty open about the playoffs essentially being a crapshoot. At what point does “champion” no longer reasonably reflect the actual best team?

Mark Polishuk
The idea of a postseason is too ingrained in North American sports. In European soccer, for instance, the regular-season champion is regarded as the champion, and the national cup tournament (like England's FA Cup, for instance) is seen as pretty secondary.

Tags: