Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on January 18. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

A decent-length chat. I included a bonus Q&A about OBP vs. sluggers.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-cha ... 14827.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Would the Pirates accept a trade offer from the Giants of Kyle Harrison, Grant McCray, Reggie Crawford and Will Bednar for Bryan Reynolds ?

Anthony Franco
I think so -- I would if I were them -- but don't expect the Giants to make Harrison available.
What will be Nolan Gorman’s role this year?

Anthony Franco
Strong side platoon partner for Yepez at DH, I guess. Seems like he could end up being part of a deadline trade for rotation help.

He's a nice fallback option if Donovan doesn't maintain his rookie year pace or an infielder other than Edman gets injured but only path to regular playing time out of the gate is at DH.
Coming off two down years, what's the most likely scenario for Brian Anderson and the Crew: 1) Starts at 3B, 2) Starts in RF, 3) Comes off the bench able to help both in the IF and OF?

Anthony Franco
Don't think he's taking the third base job from Urías. Probably starts on the bench, while rotating through the corners and getting some DH at-bats. Tyrone Taylor's the guy who probably loses the most playing time with Anderson around, but I assume Milwaukee will give Taylor a shot to build off his decent 2022 first.
As I am a lifelong Cardinals fan, should I quit reading MLBTR as the Cardinals never make any moves?

Anthony Franco
They did sign easily the best FA catcher available.

Not saying you're wrong in being generally underwhelmed by the offseason after they touted all their payroll flexibility at the start. They're more of a deadline-focused club than one that traditionally builds through free agency, though, and this offseason's trade market is pretty rough by and large.

They're well-positioned for a consolidation deal in a couple months when teams start falling out of the standings and more players become available. There just aren't that many teams completely punting on the 2023 season right now, and the ones that are have mostly already torn things to the studs.
Do you think Keegan Thompson will be pen only this season or will he get an opportunity to start? Also favorite sauce for wings?

Anthony Franco
Whether he's in the season-opening rotation depends on whether Kyle Hendricks is ready for Opening Day. Thompson's probably the first who steps in midseason thanks to injuries even if they start with Taillon, Stroman, Steele, Hendricks, Smyly.

I don't really like wings, which makes me a horrible Buffalonian. Just hot sauce with chicken fingers though.
Which team will make the biggest improvement in wins this year and which team do you will under perform expectations this year?

Anthony Franco
I've gotten variations of this question for a while and my general answer for most improved team is Texas.

Underperforming is tricky. I'm not super bullish on the Red Sox but it doesn't seem like many people are. I still think the Cubs are more of an average team than a serious division contender.

Those are pretty lukewarm takes though. I don't have a scorching "the Astros will finish below .500" kind of take.
Why not sign a bunch of guys with a OBP greater than .360 throughout your lineup than a bunch of 30 HR high strikeout guys. Seems to me you'd win more games that way. After all, the name of the game is getting on base.

Anthony Franco
.360+ OBP guys aren't readily available

Tags: