Scott Rolen gets into Hall of Fame

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Re: Scott Rolen gets into Hall of Fame

Post by greenback44 »

LOL, Rolen was wearing a hat that said E5 (the name of his charity) in that video with his family.

When Rolen played in Cincinnati, his walk-up music was the initial lyrics of "Viva la Vida", the part that went "I used to rule the world." I'm guessing he understood where his career was at that point.

I was talking with a former co-worker yesterday who played baseball and basketball against Rolen in high school, and I hadn't realized how involved Rolen apparently is with the Indiana University baseball program. The video yesterday was taken from his home in Bloomington, which is kinda the middle of nowhere. Aside from throwing a lot of money at the school, he's serving in a not-quite-coaching position (the NCAA gets weird on its definitions, but I think his title means he can't give on-field coaching). Rolen didn't have an obvious affiliation with IU before, which is my way of saying that he doesn't particularly care about laundry. I'm guessing he'll go blank.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

His homerun trot has always been one of my favorites; head down, round the bases at a quick jog, no flair. That is lost in todays game, mostly. Although we've witnessed TON get around those bases pretty briskly.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

To put the Wall of Fame slight in perspective, the Phillies’ last three selections were Bake McBride, Ron Reed and Manny Trillo.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

My opinions only here...

Can we remove TLR and Gussie from the wall of fame? Don't need two drunk drivers up there.

Rolen 100% belongs on it with his iconic pre-pitch 3B stance.

As an aside, I cannot believe national fans on Twitter think Rolen of all people waters down the hall. He was up there with roids guys. Not sure if he ever took any roids and don't care one way or another but he's in their class. McGwire and Sosa were two one-dimensional homer/roid merchants whereas Bonds and A-Rod actually should be in. Ortiz getting in on first ballot proved Cooperstown is a joke. There's 50 guys named Pie and Scooter who didn't play with any persons of color in there and we're whining about Rolen watering it down? I can't read that website much longer.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on January 25 23, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I like that he still had his Christmas tree up during his interview with MLB Network.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 25 23, 10:37 am
My opinions only here...

Can we remove TLR and Gussie from the wall of fame? Don't need two drunk drivers up there.

Rolen 100% belongs on it with his iconic pre-pitch 3B stance.

As an aside, I cannot believe national fans on Twitter think Rolen of all people waters down the hall. He was up there with roids guys. Not sure if he ever took any roids and don't care one way or another but he's in their class. McGwire and Sosa were two one-dimensional homer/roid merchants whereas Bonds and A-Rod actually should be in. Ortiz getting in on first ballot proved Cooperstown is a joke. There's 50 guys named Pie and Scooter who didn't play with any persons of color in there and we're whining about Rolen watering it down? I can't read that website much longer.
I wouldn't be for removing people on the basis of drunk-driving. It's terrible, but it's tied into a personal vice that I think Haltz has explained pretty well. I think we should be very harsh in terms of them legally driving and holding a coveted job. Especially repeat offenders. But I'm not for erasing memorial tributes or anything like that. It's not direct abuse or hatred of others, which is another tier.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

when did Gussie get busted for drunk driving?

I know his grandson had all sorts of trouble though...

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardsfantx wrote:
January 25 23, 1:27 pm

I am going by personal stories (there's some documentation online too) growing up off Morgan Ford and hearing why he wanted Bevo (it was so he could sober up, or drink even more, halfway before going from the brewery to his Grant's farm mansion). It's apparently why his father and wanted the restaurant there.

I put "my opinion" on the post to avoid having to explain but I really don't like TLR or Gussie. I think it's silly they're on the wall. It's fine to disagree. Buying a team and having a lot of money isn't an accomplishment worthy of being on that wall. You already have the stadium name. TLR embarrassed the org multiple times. Not the drinking only either... multiple feuds with opposing managers and players. Just exhausting. Plus it was weird to have him on there while he also coached White Sox.

OmahaCard79
Veteran Player

Post by OmahaCard79 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 25 23, 2:26 pm
cardsfantx wrote:
January 25 23, 1:27 pm

I am going by personal stories (there's some documentation online too) growing up off Morgan Ford and hearing why he wanted Bevo (it was so he could sober up, or drink even more, halfway before going from the brewery to his Grant's farm mansion). It's apparently why his father and wanted the restaurant there.

I put "my opinion" on the post to avoid having to explain but I really don't like TLR or Gussie. I think it's silly they're on the wall. It's fine to disagree. Buying a team and having a lot of money isn't an accomplishment worthy of being on that wall. You already have the stadium name. TLR embarrassed the org multiple times. Not the drinking only either... multiple feuds with opposing managers and players. Just exhausting. Plus it was weird to have him on there while he also coached White Sox.
Slippery slope. TLR has a stronger resume than Herzog. More wins with the organization, more World Series Titles, more overall MLB wins, seen as more of an innovator to the game, same number of pennants. He was a huge part of the organizations resurgence in the 00's, like him or not. And yes, he has MANY flaws, but personal flaws have never been the measuring stick of whether or not someone deserves their accolades in the game of baseball. I don't care if he had feuds with other managers. Dusty Baker was a clown half the time with the Cubs and Reds. He deserved what came his way and it was good TLR didn't back down. Beat his teams more often than not too with that hard edge. In the end though, both TLR and Herzog are HOF managers and deserve their spot on the wall.

Really, the only people on the wall that don't fit are Gussie and Boyer. I'll agree on Gussie just because he never held an on field position and it's dumb to retire a number for an owner. I'd hate it if DeWitt wanted a number retired as well. Boyer isn't in the hall of fame. Doesn't make sense to have him up there, but their standards were different back then. Now, you have to be a HOF player with the Cardinals with, I believe, 5 years of service (I may be wrong about that, but I think that's the official rule).

Rolen deserves to be up there with Molina and Pujols eventually. Huge part of the 00's. Yes, only here five and a half years, but they'd have put McGwire up there in a heartbeat had he gotten elected and he wasn't even in STL 5 full seasons.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Been rewatching a ton of old (2004-2006) playoff games. Watching game 4 of the 06 we now. Absolutely crazy how many times bonderman shook off pudge.