Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on January 25. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

A good number of questions for a 60-minute chat. No worthy bonus Q&As, though.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-cha ... 14909.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Tampa Bay looking to add a couple bats. Who makes the most sense for this team?

Anthony Franco
I think Seth Brown's the ideal fit for them but someone like Kepler works too. Rowdy Tellez if Milwaukee wanted to move him. Basically a lefty-hitting first base/corner outfield type.
The team that didn't make the playoffs last year that is most likely to win the WS is _________

Anthony Franco
Good one, think I'll take Milwaukee.
Would Winn & Gorman be enough for Edward Cabrera?

Anthony Franco
I wouldn't give up Masyn Winn and Nolan Gorman for Cabrera if I were St. Louis.
Scott Rolen is a Hall of Famer. Jeff Kent is not. Do you agree?

Anthony Franco
I would also have voted for Kent but a yes on Rolen would've been the easiest call of anyone on the ballot for me.
Can someone, say Cubs, pry AJ Puk from Oakland before the season?

Anthony Franco
I doubt it. Oakland GM David Forst has already suggested they might take a look at Puk as a starter in camp. Maybe that's no longer the case after signing Fujinami and Rucinski but if that were ever a serious consideration for them, might as well give it a shot before putting him on the trade market.
Hello Anthony, hope all is well. Have you changed your pessimistic outlook on the Cubs offseason approach and overall direction of the team, or should I check back again next week?

Anthony Franco
Haha I liked their offseason well enough, just think they had too significant a gap to bridge between themselves and St. Louis/Milwaukee to be a legitimate playoff contender in one offseason.

I'd still like to see them pick a lane with Ian Happ and either make an earnest run at an extension or trade him. But generally, I'm fine with the players they've brought in, just think the roster's more in the .500 range than truly competitive.
Why don't the Cubs sign Chafin?

Anthony Franco
Who's to say they won't?
Most glaring need for a team trying to compete: White Sox 2B, Cardinals starting depth, something else?

Anthony Franco
White Sox's second base is up there, yeah. I think the Cardinals' rotation depth is fine.

Others that stand out to me: Red Sox's middle infield still, Orioles' rotation, Rangers' LF, Braves' LF.
Evan Carter and the Vandy pitchers for Reynolds: who says no?

Anthony Franco
Texas
Scott Rolen or Nolan Arenado in their prime?

Anthony Franco
I was kind of young to remember peak Rolen so maybe it's just an era thing, but I'd take Arenado.

Tags: