Steve Adams' NL Central comment

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comment

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on February 14. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

One single NL Central question this week. That was it. I added 3 bonus Q&As: one about the extra inning runner rule, and two about different rotation theories.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with ... 15051.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I believe Pittsburgh will be a .500 team this year. What are your thoughts on the Pirates?

Steve Adams
I'm buying that more for 2024. I don't think the moves they've made and the young talent coming up give them a 19-win improvement. I do expect they'll be better, but probably low- to mid-70s in win total.
What is your take on the extra inning rules? Why not just go with tie games in the regular season, and stick with the old rules for post season games?

Steve Adams
I'm not and never have been a fan of the free runner -- at least not in the 10th inning. If you want to implement it in the 12th or 13th or something, I wouldn't mind as much.

I'm in the minority that also just wouldn't hate nine or ten-inning ties, though I imagine more fans would push back on that.

Still, I'd rather see the game played under the same set of rules, start to finish, then some extra-innings panic button that fundamentally shifts the very core of the game.
Do you think there'll ever be a pitching staff full of pitchers that pitch max-effort 2-3 innings at a time, and each game will see them go through 3-4 pitchers?

Steve Adams
Yeah I think at some point we'll see a team abandon conventional "starting pitching" norms entirely.
How about the 6 man rotation? Pitching once a week might mean an xtra inning a start or 120 pitches instead of 100

Steve Adams
I don't think most teams would view a six-man rotation as a way to get more out of their starters on a per-start basis. The reason guys get pulled after 5-6 innings and around 100 pitches has more to do with the massive downturn in pitcher efficacy when facing a lineup for the third time than it does about preventing injuries. I'm sure limiting strain on the arm and managing workload plays a role, of course, but not to the same extent.

Tags:

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Steve Adams' NL Central comment

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'd be really curious to pick the brains of some of the leading MLB coaches as to how they approach arm care.