Rick Eckstein's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Rick Eckstein's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with former MLB hitting coach (and brother of David) Rick Eckstein that occurred on February 21. He worked in the Nationals, Angels, Twins, Cardinals and Pirates organizations. He is currently a consultant to MLB hitters.

In addition to a few NL Central-related questions, I included a few bonus Q&As that I found interesting. As always, click on the link to read the entire chat.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat ... 15093.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What’s the biggest fight you and David got into and who won?

Rick Eckstein
Haha!!! I can't say we fought, but we did compete at everything we did. It would get heated!!!
I'm a big Pirates fan and I was sad when you got fired.

Rick Eckstein
Thanks!
Thanks for doing this Rick! Out of all the guys you’ve coached, are there any who stand out that were “okay” hitters that made an adjustment or put in work and suddenly surpassed your expectations? In other words who's you’re favorite success story?

Rick Eckstein
All I ever tried to do was give each hitter my best. I always saw their upside even if they were not showing it. Recently Ryan Ludwick spoke to me and had some nice things to say for what I assisted him with when he was in AAA Memphis with me. He became a force for the Cards for several years and that was exciting.
Who do you think has a better year at the plate, Gallo or Bellinger?

Rick Eckstein
Belli
Am I the only one tired of the all or nothing hitters?

Rick Eckstein
NO. There are teams that have come out and have said we are preaching CONTACT.
When hitters do well the hitting coach gets a lot of credit. When they go into a slump they get fired. How much credit/Blame does a hitting coach deserve?

Rick Eckstein
I have been on both ends of that! Somewhere in the middle?!!!
Hey Rick! Thanks for taking some time to talk with us. What is your thoughts on all of the YouTube/Tic Tok/Twitter drills and posts that everyone is seeing, and they are starting infiltrate youth baseball? Good for the game? Confusing for others? Stick to the basics?

Rick Eckstein
Everyone is posting content. I think filtering it is imperative. There are so many factors that go into what might help you become better as a hitter. What might be great for one might not be great for another.
From your perspective, how much should a hitter focus on launch angle? I think it’s something that’ll come if you hit the ball hard consistently, I just would love to hear your opinion on it.

Rick Eckstein
Launch angle is a measurement (angle of flight). If you are on time with your contact point it usually allows the ball flight to have an upward trajectory.
Hey Rick did you ever get heckled from opposing fans? If so funniest thing you heard?

Rick Eckstein
I was the bullpen catcher in 2000 with the Twins.......Yankee stadium.....Hey #75....you suck!

Tags:

WAR God
Everyday Player

Re: Rick Eckstein's NL Central comments

Post by WAR God »

“I'm a big Pirates fan and I was sad when you got fired.

Rick Eckstein - thanks!”

Lol…