Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star

Re: Machado signs contract extension with the San Diego Padres 11/350

Post by Felix The Cat »

JoeMcKim wrote:
February 27 23, 12:01 pm
Felix The Cat wrote:
February 27 23, 11:30 am
Do agents get paid in between contact negotiations? Do they perform services for the player aside from getting the next contract? I'm assuming whatever compensation they regularly get pales in comparison to whatever commission they get for nabbing a multi-million contract for their clients? Would the agent even care about getting canned after the mega contract is signed and finalized?
I would imagine that agents get their money as the player gets it. So I assume its 15% per year so its not like the agent just gets paid his 15% of the 250-300 million as soon as the contract is signed. But if a player opts out and gets a new contract with a higher amount per year that 15% the agent gets every year will be at a higher rate.
What's stopping players from ditching agents shortly after signing a big contract to avoid paying most of the commission? Would the payments accelerate to be paid immediately like a buyout situation (in which case, it wouldn't matter if Arenado fires his agent right now since the agent is getting paid a chunk of change either way)?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I want the Cardinals to fork over the dough. I don't like that they get cheap deals on talent. They should be top 3-5 in payroll because they easily can with a top 3 net worth owner. Period.

I literally want DeWitt to spend more money. Because the players deserve it. And before anyone jumps in with the gaslight of "well then expect higher ticket prices" then don't go to the games. Don't know what to tell you there, you have autonomy as a fan, so that's moot.

With all that said, I hope Arenado considers new representation. It's one thing leaving a little money on the table, it's another leaving a 100m potentially. I personally guatran damn tee that Arenado isn't leaving a hundred million dollars on the table on purpose.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Arenado is happy, because he's playing where he wants to and is filthy rich.

Fans are happy, because we love Arenado and are glad he's staying.

The owner is happy, because they got a fair deal.

If any fan is bitter about the deal, then they're probably following baseball for the wrong reasons. There is literally no reason to be angry about the Arenado deal, unless your abhorrence toward wealthy businessmen trumps your love of the sport. If a fan is going to be bitter until every owner started spending like Siedler or Cohen, good luck. For the record, those guys haven't won jack either.

Yes, I have the option of not buying tickets if I think the prices are too high. Players also have the option of not playing baseball if the owners aren't paying enough. The owners have the option of not paying players if they want more money in their pocket. We all have choices

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Felix The Cat wrote:
February 27 23, 12:48 pm
JoeMcKim wrote:
February 27 23, 12:01 pm
Felix The Cat wrote:
February 27 23, 11:30 am
Do agents get paid in between contact negotiations? Do they perform services for the player aside from getting the next contract? I'm assuming whatever compensation they regularly get pales in comparison to whatever commission they get for nabbing a multi-million contract for their clients? Would the agent even care about getting canned after the mega contract is signed and finalized?
I would imagine that agents get their money as the player gets it. So I assume its 15% per year so its not like the agent just gets paid his 15% of the 250-300 million as soon as the contract is signed. But if a player opts out and gets a new contract with a higher amount per year that 15% the agent gets every year will be at a higher rate.
What's stopping players from ditching agents shortly after signing a big contract to avoid paying most of the commission? Would the payments accelerate to be paid immediately like a buyout situation (in which case, it wouldn't matter if Arenado fires his agent right now since the agent is getting paid a chunk of change either way)?
I would imagine that the agent who negotiates the contract whether or not they get fired get their cut for the remainder of that contract. But if a player opts out of a contract with a new agent he ends the payments going to that former agent.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
February 27 23, 10:28 am
A lot of projection here. No one knows what Arenado wants.

He went for max his first big contract. Was that team-first or “greed” then? No.

It is literally quite possible he got bad advice from his agent.
Sure but you're projecting, too.

It's also quite literally possible he didn't want to go through the work to make a little more to play somewhere else where might be less competitive or enjoy less or has a higher cost of living.

Sometimes one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

You're kind of simping for millionaires against billionaires here. Good on Manny for getting his but I don't quite understand why you're bringing Arenado in to this.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

vinsanity wrote:
February 27 23, 3:57 pm
You're kind of simping for millionaires against billionaires here. Good on Manny for getting his but I don't quite understand why you're bringing Arenado in to this.
Yeah, we've been through this argument plenty of times before.

Probably not worth saying but from an AAV standpoint these deals are pretty similar. Arenado will be a free agent again most likely and Machado just committed to a franchise until retirement.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

haltz wrote:
February 27 23, 5:24 pm
vinsanity wrote:

Probably not worth saying but from an AAV standpoint these deals are pretty similar. Arenado will be a free agent again most likely and Machado just committed to a franchise until retirement.
But it’s beyond the five years and you know that’s the issue. We don’t have to pretend it’s about anything beyond that when that’s huge on its own. Do you honestly think Arenado gets Manny money after his contract is up?

@vinsanity Btw Arenado was brought into this because it’s a natural thing to ask, as I shared a tweet that generated conversation, and among writers across baseball.

If it’s players versus owners, I go player every time. Super athletes deserve the chunk of the pie over the nepotism/super wealthy. Along with the bigger scale union vs. owner debate. That’s all. My opinion only. And I did not project as I said “we don’t know what he wants”

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
February 27 23, 6:06 pm
haltz wrote:
February 27 23, 5:24 pm
vinsanity wrote:

But it’s beyond the five years and you know that’s the issue. We don’t have to pretend it’s about anything beyond that when that’s huge on its own. Do you honestly think Arenado gets Manny money after his contract is up?

If he's still really good at age 35 he could easily pick up that $100M you said he's leaving on the table and Machado has to stick around to get it even if he falls off a cliff or just ages like a typical player and gets booed for five straight years.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
February 27 23, 6:06 pm
If it’s players versus owners, I go player every time.
Generally agree. I just don't see players getting hundreds of millions as some triumph of "little guy" over the big bad owner. As others mentioned, this isn't 1919 Comiskey. When a superstar negotiates for the beer vendor to get his wages doubled and paid health care, I'll start celebrating.

But I'm a commie.

The story is good for Manny, Nolan still got a bag, and hopefully he remains happy in Cardinal red. That's all I really care about.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
February 27 23, 12:57 pm
I want the Cardinals to fork over the dough. I don't like that they get cheap deals on talent. They should be top 3-5 in payroll because they easily can with a top 3 net worth owner. Period.

I literally want DeWitt to spend more money. Because the players deserve it. And before anyone jumps in with the gaslight of "well then expect higher ticket prices" then don't go to the games. Don't know what to tell you there, you have autonomy as a fan, so that's moot.

With all that said, I hope Arenado considers new representation. It's one thing leaving a little money on the table, it's another leaving a 100m potentially. I personally guatran damn tee that Arenado isn't leaving a hundred million dollars on the table on purpose.
Nolan Arenado, with $129M to go over four years, was a rare superstar to decide against opting out this winter.

“I definitely think about it. But it was a long process to get me here, and it didn’t feel right leaving after two years, it just didn’t,” said Arenado, hitting .571 before leaving to join team USA in the World Baseball Classic. “I’m happy I’m here still. I have more than enough money. I don’t like sitting here complaining about money when I make a lot more money than most people.”