Joe Pepitone RIP

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Joe Pepitone RIP

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

NY Yankee star on a lot of bad teams. Growing up in upstate NY when he played, I heard a lot about him, but I thought the best thing about him was his name.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Joe Pepitone RIP

Post by sighyoung »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
March 13 23, 7:50 pm
NY Yankee star on a lot of bad teams. Growing up in upstate NY when he played, I heard a lot about him, but I thought the best thing about him was his name.
A former Cub, too: played for some solid teams on the North Side from 1970-1973.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

Didn't he go play in Japan?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Richie Allen wrote:
March 13 23, 9:41 pm
Didn't he go play in Japan?
Yeah - and hated it. Said something like "They don't even speak english over there."

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Life after baseball
Memoirs
Jim Bouton talked extensively about Pepitone in his 1970 book Ball Four. Pepitone is described as being extremely vain. Bouton said that Pepitone went nowhere without a bag containing hair products for his rapidly balding head. Pepitone even had two toupees, one for general wear and one for under his baseball cap, which he called his "game piece." Bouton told a humorous story about how the game piece came loose one day when Pepitone took off his cap for the U.S. national anthem.[citation needed]
Pepitone spent his days in Japan skipping games for claimed injuries only to be out at night in discos, behavior which led the Japanese to adopt his name into their vernacular—as a word meaning "goof off."[14]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pepitone