3/15 ST GDT: Cardinals vs Mets 12:10 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
booger71
All-Star

Re: 3/15 ST GDT: Cardinals vs Mets 12:10 PM CT

Post by booger71 »

Is Rooney and Ricky even in Florida or is the B radio team doing Spring Training?

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Herrera seems to be making a big case for catcher #2 spot. Good fielding all spring and Knizner's bat just ain't there (again).

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
March 15 23, 1:47 pm
Herrera seems to be making a big case for catcher #2 spot. Good fielding all spring and Knizner's bat just ain't there (again).
Its funny. I remember the argument for why it wasn't that big of a deal to trade Carson Kelly away, was that we had this guy who could hit as well as Kelly but just needed some glovework. That guy was, of course, Knizner. He used to have presence at the plate. He had some solid numbers on the farm. Then he started to sniff the MLB roster, and all of a sudden his hit tool just vanished. It's gotten worse every year since. But he gets the "good guy, hard worker" award from his teammates, and our staff has confidence in him. But boy, there sure is a vacuum in the lineup when he starts, and he'd be the last guy off the bench to pinch hit(nevermind that he plays the Catcher position).

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Vergan Daz got the win, and gave up the only Met run.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Taylor Motter can hit

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
March 15 23, 1:55 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
March 15 23, 1:47 pm
Its funny. I remember the argument for why it wasn't that big of a deal to trade Carson Kelly away, was that we had this guy who could hit as well as Kelly but just needed some glovework. That guy was, of course, Knizner. He used to have presence at the plate. He had some solid numbers on the farm. Then he started to sniff the MLB roster, and all of a sudden his hit tool just vanished. It's gotten worse every year since. But he gets the "good guy, hard worker" award from his teammates, and our staff has confidence in him. But boy, there sure is a vacuum in the lineup when he starts, and he'd be the last guy off the bench to pinch hit(nevermind that he plays the Catcher position).
Sadly, Carson Kelly was just as bad as Knizner last year.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Socnorb11 wrote:
March 15 23, 2:55 pm
TBF, Knizner was a full WAR worse.

Kelly at least has a decent glove and a better body of work around his bat projecting future success.

Knizner is -15 DRS career. Kelly breaks even in way more innings. Knizner is a good guy but it's about time to move on.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
March 15 23, 3:06 pm
Socnorb11 wrote:
March 15 23, 2:55 pm
TBF, Knizner was a full WAR worse.

Kelly at least has a decent glove and a better body of work around his bat projecting future success.

Knizner is -15 DRS career. Kelly breaks even in way more innings. Knizner is a good guy but it's about time to move on.
Yeah, I'm aware.

I was responding to the post regarding his bat, and presence in the lineup.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Playing catcher is so much more difficult than the average fan seems to understand (I don't rate fans on here as average).

Carson Kelly isn't going to end up a starting level catcher either, most likely. Knizner is probably going to be the Bryan Pena award winner for nice career built on being a guy just happy to be there.

It's why I was excited to get Contreras, because I'm excited to have a catcher who can hit. Catcher metrics say the value of a catcher's defense is more than we think, but I am not sure I buy it to level of the offensive downturn seems to offset.

I'd carry Knizner, but only so Herrera can play every day in AAA.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

phins wrote:
March 15 23, 10:42 pm
Playing catcher is so much more difficult than the average fan seems to understand (I don't rate fans on here as average).

Carson Kelly isn't going to end up a starting level catcher either, most likely. Knizner is probably going to be the Bryan Pena award winner for nice career built on being a guy just happy to be there.

It's why I was excited to get Contreras, because I'm excited to have a catcher who can hit. Catcher metrics say the value of a catcher's defense is more than we think, but I am not sure I buy it to level of the offensive downturn seems to offset.

I'd carry Knizner, but only so Herrera can play every day in AAA.
I agree on every point. But I think Contreras isn't catching as many games as people think. He's going to have a lot of DH time. I put it around 75 games/year during his contract. Barring major injury.

Herrera development isn't hindered when you go into the season realizing this and giving him catcher innings with Contreras getting his needed time off plus DH PAs.

Contreras only caught 72 games last year.