Simon Hampton's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Simon Hampton's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Simon Hampton that occurred on March 18. A native of New Zealand, he is a part-time writer for MLBTR and will also be hosting their re-launched podcast. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @simonmhampton.)

There were a decent number of questions, but no bonus Q&As this time.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-cha ... 15332.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Would Shohei consider any teams from the Central divisions when he is a free agent?

Simon Hampton
I think he'll consider anyone that throws enough money in front of him. Only he could say how much he values certain other factors, such as location, but as always money will surely be the driving factor.
With Machado off the market, who is the top position player Free Agent for next off season? (Not named Ohtani)

Simon Hampton
Think it's Matt Chapman at the moment, but a big year from Harrison Bader or Ian Happ could maybe change it. It doesn't look like a great free agent market for hitters next winter.
If the Bucs traded Reynolds TODAY, pick a team and comp for me please.

Simon Hampton
Marlins for a package headlined by one of their young starters.
Cubs or Pittsburgh 3rd place in NL central?

Simon Hampton
Close, lean Cubs but not by much.
Pittsburgh a more exciting team to watch though.
If Brewers are blowing away the Cardinals at the trade deadline, do you think there is even a slight chance they push in to try and win it all? (I.e. expensive rental)

Simon Hampton
It doesn't feel like their MO. In this scenario, I do think it'd make a trade of Burnes or Woodruff almost a certain no. They'll look for upgrades, but doubt they'll trade away top prospects for rentals.
How do you see the NL Central finishing?

Simon Hampton
Cardinals, Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, Reds
Cubs need 2nd southpaw reliever. Is the solution already in ST with them or out on the open market?

Simon Hampton
I would not be surprised if they were one of the teams taking a look at Zack Britton.
Will Bryan Reynolds (regardless of trade) have a bounceback 2023?

Simon Hampton
I think so. He was still very good last year, but it'd be interesting to see how another ~3 WAR season affected his trade value.
Does Ivan Herrera journey to the ML's have to take a detour to someplace other than St Louis?

Simon Hampton
He looks very much like a trade candidate at this point, yes. Don't think there's immediate urgency on the starting pitching front for St Louis, but perhaps at the deadline he's part of a deal to beef up their rotation for '23 and beyond.
Which anticipated MLB debut player(s) are you most excited to watch this season?

Simon Hampton
Volpe and Grayson Rodriguez, and also Endy Rodriguez if he makes it.
STL question. Think Walker is breaking camp? He's raked, but TON and DC seem to have bounced back as well, if WBC stats count for anything with TON. At least Dylan can touch RHP. Noots going to get every chance as well, as much as I want to see him embarrassing Central division pitching, I'm not sure where they put him. But he doesn't look like he has much to prove.

Simon Hampton
I agree with this pretty much. Would love to see Walker there, but they don't have an obvious immediate need for him and while he's done well in the spring, he hasn't spent any time at Triple-A, so I think he winds up there for the first month.
Do you think Endy Rodriguez will start on Opening Day for the Pirates?

Simon Hampton
Nah, think the Pirates will give him at least half the season at Triple-A. If he rakes like last year he'll be up sometime in the summer though.

Tags: