Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

ESPN top 100 players in MLB 2023

Post by Magneto2.0 »

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/359 ... 00-players

10. Nolan Arenado
3B | St. Louis Cardinals
Pitchers fear Arenado as much as anyone in the game: He's hit at least 30 home runs in seven consecutive seasons (not including 2020). He also only struck out 72 times in 2022 while drawing 52 walks. In this era of baseball, that's a great ratio for a power hitter.

There are some pitchers that like him: His own. It's because he's a vacuum at third base, winning the gold glove there in every year he's been in the league. He also has five silver slugger awards, including last season when he finished third in MVP voting.

Arenado is arguably the best combination of offense and defense in the entire game -- easily placing him in the top 20 players in MLB.

Season prediction: Arenado will swap with teammate Paul Goldschmidt and win the MVP in 2023. -- Rogers

12. Paul Goldschmidt
1B | St. Louis Cardinals
At 34, baseball's perennial MVP bridesmaid finally broke through with a season that really was another representative campaign for a player who posts nothing but terrific stat lines. Now a first-time reigning MVP, Goldschmidt will have his own tough act to follow after landing in the top three of the NL in all the slash categories and leading in slugging, OPS and OPS+ (a career-best 180). He also finished the season with an MVP-esque 7.8 WAR, according to Baseball Reference. While that 180 OPS+ is a high bar, don't expect a collapse: Goldschmidt has posted 140 or better nine of his 11 full seasons. He'll spend the next few years burnishing what is shaping up as a Hall-worthy resume.

Season prediction: Goldschmidt turned 35 late last season and eventually, his game will start to fray. There was no sign of that last season but expecting a repeat of those numbers is probably unrealistic. Expect more of an "average" Goldschmidt season -- 140-145 OPS+ -- which is still awfully good. -- Doolittle

94. Willson Contreras
C | St. Louis Cardinals
The project of Contreras stepping into the proverbial shoes of retired Redbirds legend Yadier Molina has many levels. He's replacing the best catcher in franchise history. He's replacing a nine-time Gold Glover. He's replacing one of St. Louis' most beloved athletes and the leader of the clubhouse. And, in Contreras' new partnership with Adam Wainwright, he's taking Molina's place in baseball's most prolific battery. On top of all that, Contreras has to live up to a five-year, $87.5 million contract in an intense baseball city. It's a lot. But if any player has the make-up to fill all of those shoes, it's the hyper-competitive Contreras. It won't take long for Cardinals fans to realize they now have their best everyday offensive catcher since Ted Simmons.

Season prediction: From a numbers standpoint, it is all but certain that Contreras will be a sizable offensive upgrade from Molina because of his combination of power and patience. But initially, the focus will be on Contreras' defense and ability to work with the St. Louis pitching staff. Don't expect him to fail. -- Doolittle

WAR God
Everyday Player

Re: ESPN top 100 players in MLB 2023

Post by WAR God »

Unless I misremembering, didn’t Goldy fall off really hard last month or two of the season? I’m hoping he can regain his MVP form immediately. I think he made some approach changes with Jeff Albert which catapulted him to MVP level performance. Hoping he can keep that up.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: ESPN top 100 players in MLB 2023

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

WAR God wrote:
March 23 23, 8:23 am
Unless I misremembering, didn’t Goldy fall off really hard last month or two of the season? I’m hoping he can regain his MVP form immediately. I think he made some approach changes with Jeff Albert which catapulted him to MVP level performance. Hoping he can keep that up.
Yup. There was a game in August where all the sudden he didn't look the same at the plate. I commented on it in a GDT. He struggled from that game on. Don't know what caused it and Goldy never said that I've ever seen.