Wainwright out "several weeks" w/ groin strain

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Wainwright out "several weeks" w/ groin strain

Post by Spider John »

heyzeus wrote:
March 23 23, 8:57 am
Welp, at least Woodford has looked good in spring training?
In the past he would get people out, but that didn't rank high enough on all of the peripherals they value.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Mozeliak is so bad at handling starting pitching, I genuinely don't know what his plan is.

If Rodon/deGrom type deals scare the [expletive] out of him and DeWitt why not go get a Tyler Anderson or just another Matz? So many low cost short term deals that could have been had for depth. Stupid offseason is now going to cost games.

The goal clearly wasn't to be a top 2 team. Sad, especially with the stacked lineup they have...

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

heyzeus wrote:
March 23 23, 8:57 am
Welp, at least Woodford has looked good in spring training?
A good spring is not enough to undo years of bad K-BB%/peripherals. He is bad, make no mistake.

Is there one or two examples of someone with his K-BB% even in AAA in their mid 20s who just completely turned it all the way around? I cannot find any... He is a depressing Eric Fedde/Chi Chi Gonzales type that the Nationals and Rockies trot out there to automatically lose.

Replacement level SP innings. Really needed Waino to anchor the rotation and be consistent even if it was a 2.5 fWAR year.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

TGantz wrote:
March 23 23, 10:14 am
Glad we didn't waste that money getting Quintana or Wacha. Who could have forseen our rock solid and consistenly healthy rotation having someone go on the IL early on?
Well, as it turns out, I'm also glad we didn't resign Quintana. I think Wainwright will be healthy well before Quintana.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

mikechamp wrote:
March 23 23, 10:28 am
TGantz wrote:
March 23 23, 10:14 am
Glad we didn't waste that money getting Quintana or Wacha. Who could have forseen our rock solid and consistenly healthy rotation having someone go on the IL early on?
Well, as it turns out, I'm also glad we didn't resign Quintana. I think Wainwright will be healthy well before Quintana.
This kind of hindsight doesn't really help anything. Butterfly effect of Quintana being a Cardinal over being a Met might have changed his injury fate. Who even knows? They could have signed like Alex Wood or Tyler Anderson or some other cheapo deal of someone who ISN'T injured. Injuries happen. That's why you don't go in the season with as many question marks as they did.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Eh. I suspect that most teams' 6th and 7th starters are garbage. It's pretty tough to have much depth beyond 5 guys. They could have signed a veteran starter, but a veteran starter probably wasn't going to accept a bullpen role if everyone was healthy.
Last edited by Socnorb11 on March 23 23, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Thanks Paletta.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

cardsfantx wrote:
March 23 23, 10:12 am
heyzeus wrote:
March 23 23, 9:52 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
March 23 23, 9:36 am
Wonder if it's really a groin strain or a dead arm.
Could be a dead groin. The worst of both worlds.
I once had a dead arm from an overworked groin

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I don't care about most teams. I care about the top 4 teams as the goal is to get better world series odds being a top 2 team. The Marlins having a bad 6th man isn't important.

Dodgers, even without Buehler for the season, still have insanely good depth. Padres definitely do--Musgrove returning early April. Mets still have depth despite Quintana. I would love a 6th option like Peterson. Braves got Soroka back recently and he's the bottom of the rotation. And he's good. The only comparable team is Phillies, with similar injury question marks, who will be pushing for HFA in the bottom playoff slots.

A big chunk of innings being relied on by injury riddled Matz and Flaherty is already the starting point. Waino age and Mikolas having recent arm issues only adds question marks. They needed another "guy."

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Waino to Woodford might be a blessing in disguise.