2023 Minor League season

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
WAR God
Everyday Player

Re: 2023 Minor League season

Post by WAR God »

I appreciate the context. I think his ceiling is limited if he doesn’t figure out the ground ball issue. That, plus his bad defense, is tough.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

He's only 20.

They did something similar with Hicks a few years ago.

'Hey, this guy sits at nearly 100!'

But, he didn't know how to pitch to major league batters.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

haltz wrote:
May 30 23, 2:05 pm
The idea that they'd call up their top prospect to the big leagues after being in the organization for three years and all of the sudden realize or decide that his swing needs a complete overhaul and let's do that during the season, makes no sense.

Sounds like he tried a couple of things that didn't work at all, like he was having a hard time even making contact so they've decided to re-focus and he's gone back to raking.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was as much about the defense as anything - at this point he's only played a few dozen games in the outfield, and this little media blitz feels like he might be called up again soon. Framed a little differently in the P-D: Cardinals prospect Jordan Walker's mechanical tweaks unleash his potential in Memphis
I get enough wrong that I’ll state when I get one right. Ha

It was always silly to bring him up when they did. It’s also absolutely correct to get him to hit the ball in the air more.

If he is hitting the ball on the ground as much as he was, while playing atrocious RF defense, and being an average to below baserunner, he’s simply not a major league player. Certainly not one that has to be prioritized.

Players are continually growing and developing. There is no issue with Walker needing another two years to develop before he’s ready for the big leagues, but a certain faction of the fan base got WAY over their ski’s with Walker.

Keep him down and adjusting and developing until he’s ready for the challenge in all aspects. Seems so clear to me, but the Cardinals played it another way, and while I wouldn’t be saying anything if it worked, it was clearly yet another folly for the front office this year.

phins

Post by phins »

go birds wrote:
May 29 23, 6:38 pm
These are the type of moves I’ve been pining for
To be clear; this is the Cardinals strategy in the international market. Legitimately, this is their strategy.

They hold money back for the Cuban, Asian players who enter the market late and use that money to entice them. They’ve had extremely mixed results with the approach, but Arozarena, Johan Oviedo, Carlos Martinez, Adolis Garcia, Won Bin Cho, and another kid last year have all been signed with this approach.

I just wish they’d focus more on rounded bat-to-ball skills than the tiny, athletic types for position players and the huge framed, big armed, zero command types on the mound.

They are steadfast in the approach though.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

phins wrote:
May 30 23, 7:22 pm
It was always silly to bring him up when they did. It’s also absolutely correct to get him to hit the ball in the air more.
Sincere question, were they unaware of this issue before they saw him in the big leagues? How is that possible, and if they were aware then why bring him up?

phins

Post by phins »

haltz wrote:
May 30 23, 7:47 pm
phins wrote:
May 30 23, 7:22 pm
Sincere question, were they unaware of this issue before they saw him in the big leagues? How is that possible, and if they were aware then why bring him up?
They were aware, and the second part is probably due to optics if I’m being honest.

The great spring, big prospect. If they don’t call him
up people probably claim gaming his service time.

He wasn’t ready though and that should’ve been more obvious in my opinion.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Ivan Herrera player of the month hitting .295/.428/.527 on the season with 39/32 K/BB

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

haltz wrote:
June 7 23, 1:58 pm
Ivan Herrera player of the month hitting .295/.428/.527 on the season with 39/32 K/BB
That’s a salty line.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
June 7 23, 5:43 pm
haltz wrote:
June 7 23, 1:58 pm
That’s a salty line.