2023 Roster Moves

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: 2023 Roster Moves

Post by sighyoung »

The Roster Move of the Day brought to you by Sunsweet Prunes: when you need to make a move, try a Sunsweet prune!

Tags:

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Lol.How did the Cubs mange with him behind the plate all these years?

From what I can tell, over his whole career Contreras has played roughly 10 more games in the outfield than Walker has.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

ghostrunner wrote:
May 6 23, 12:41 pm
Lol.How did the Cubs mange with him behind the plate all these years?

From what I can tell, over his whole career Contreras has played roughly 10 more games in the outfield than Walker has.
To be fair this seems like the conclusion that the Cubs ultimately came to last year when he DHd 40 games and split time with Yan Gomes. TT mentioned that his offense becomes a concern under a heavy catcher workload as well. He's a great player to have on the roster who's versatile and hits the ball really [expletive] hard and runs well but ultimately I think he starts 60-70 games at catcher and is essentially the backup at that position which is great and I could care less if he takes ABs from Burleson.

I really think as a full time starter at catcher he was a stopgap. At one point I said you should sign him AND trade for Murphy with a surplus of young DH/OF types which probably wasn't realistic but it was pretty obvious that Willson wasn't a long term full time catcher solution.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Fair enough. Though it seems like he ought to just be the DH then.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

@haltz I apologize for convincing you last summer that Contreras would be a better addition to this roster than Trea Turner.

I was deeply mistaken and thought the FO would do more than just sign Contreras.

Alas, I was mistaken.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Lesson wrote:
May 6 23, 1:52 pm
@haltz I apologize for convincing you last summer that Contreras would be a better addition to this roster than Trea Turner.

I was deeply mistaken and thought the FO would do more than just sign Contreras.

Alas, I was mistaken.
You might be confusing me with someone else I was all for Contreras and not a fan of signing Turner. I expect Tommy Edman quietly puts up 4-5 WAR this year.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

haltz wrote:
May 6 23, 2:07 pm
Lesson wrote:

Alas, I was mistaken.
You might be confusing me with someone else I was all for Contreras and not a fan of signing Turner. I expect Tommy Edman quietly puts up 4-5 WAR this year.
Convince might be the wrong word. I recall advocating for Contreras and you also agreeing as well around the time of the Soto and Montgomery trades.

I think realistically the signing should be OK long-term if they get someone capable of being in a tandem him with (and also having pitching that is more than the bargain bin at Costco).

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Lesson wrote:
May 6 23, 2:09 pm
haltz wrote:
May 6 23, 2:07 pm
Lesson wrote:

Alas, I was mistaken.
Convince might be the wrong word. I recall advocating for Contreras and you also agreeing as well around the time of the Soto and Montgomery trades.

I think realistically the signing should be OK long-term if they get someone capable of being in a tandem him with (and also having pitching that is more than the bargain bin at Costco).
Yeah I thought and still think it's a good signing but you also need another real catcher. Ultimately it's great when guys can split time back there and at least one is capable enough offensively to DH and play a couple other positions.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

haltz wrote:
May 6 23, 2:12 pm
Yeah I thought and still think it's a good signing but you also need another real catcher. Ultimately it's great when guys can split time back there and at least one is capable enough offensively to DH and play a couple other positions.
Yep, which is why Yadi was an anomaly, though I wonder how much better his offense would have been if he had someone who could have started 50-60 games consistently during the primer of his career instead of guys like Gary Bennett, Tony Cruz, etc. Maybe the closest he had was LaRue/Wieters?

I am curious if we’ll see a evolution with how Cs are used similar to how openers and SP are now used.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Pallante up
Romero down