38%
Jose DeLeon
6%

Total votes: 50

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Is our season over?

Post by G. Keenan »

Trade everyone not named Arenado, Goldschmidt, Contreras.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I'm all for enjoying a season in it's own right, but assuming this means playoffs I'm saying yes. The hole is deep and I don't trust the FO will make enough changes to the rotation to get out of it.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

ghostrunner post wrote: The hole is deep and I don't trust the FO will make enough changes to the rotation to get out of it.
You're saying Zach Thompson 2024 is not just as good as signing a proven free agent starting pitcher? Those guys could get injured, man, and then where would we be?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

If it continues on this path, probably, simply because they won't be close enough in the standings to make a move to improve the rotation

Last two seasons they made deadline deals that put us over the hump. We have to climb out of a huge hole in the next 3 months. Obviously it's doable, but this rotation way worse than I even fathomed. We literally only have 1 starter (Monty) where I feel even remotely confident entering a game.

The question to me is, if they are out of it by the deadline, should they sell off some pieces? O'Neill, Flaherty, Carlson can all go.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
May 4 23, 12:22 pm
The question to me is, if they are out of it by the deadline, should they sell off some pieces? O'Neill, Flaherty, Carlson can all go.
And those pieces will land dick too. Maybe an aging guy with promise for the one with the best stats.

Carlson could net you an org's top 10 guy.

Got to sell Montgomery too. No WAY he re-signs.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 4 23, 12:43 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
And those pieces will land dick too. Maybe an aging guy with promise for the one with the best stats.

Good call out. I forgot about Monty being a free agent after the year. He'd net the most I think, even as a 2 month rental (Not counting Arenado, Goldy and Contreras and the prospects).

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
May 4 23, 12:49 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 4 23, 12:43 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:

Good call out. I forgot about Monty being a free agent after the year. He'd net the most I think, even as a 2 month rental (Not counting Arenado, Goldy and Contreras and the prospects).
Sort by Surplus here: https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/teams/590/

Looking at this list I might also sell high on Edman. What's the point with him? Gorman and Winn will need PT and Donovan can handle what he did largely.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

I don’t trust the FO to make good choices on the evaluation of talent if we have a fire sale.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

About 20% of the way through the season, the Cards are 10-22 good for 0.313 winning percentage (not a percentage, not sure why it's phrased that way).

Regardless, they get an F- thus far, down from an F 15% of the way through the season.

Our season is over.

jack76
Everyday Player

Post by jack76 »

Yes, yes, our season is over.

At this point, I'd be happy to trade off everyone, but Contreras (he's on my fantasy team and starting to hit). For those of you wanting to hold on to Goldie and Arenado, do you think our window will be open next year without the pitching staff stabilized? Do you think Arenado wants to live through a sell-off this year and a rebuilding year next year?

It seems our alignment of prospect arrival and contention is a year or two off-set. I'm tired of limping into the playoffs and whimpering out three games later.

Maximize your return on trades by selling 5 months of Monty vs. 2 months. Give Goldie a chance at a World Series - he deserves it - and get back a haul. Let Arenado follow and stack the organization with balanced contributors ready to compete next year. Be honest about the potential of this team to turn it around (not good) and come out with a plan to win the World Series....not just be competitive.

Use the time and resources to maximize the return. Waiting for July diminishes your resources and their value on the trade market. Frankly, how many of us trust Moto to pull off transformative last-minute major trades? Start the process now and you might light a fire under everyone else.