38%
Jose DeLeon
6%

Total votes: 50

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Re: Is our season over?

Post by jagtrader »

Don’t trade Goldschmidt and Arenado. That’s stupid. Those returns rarely pan out and this organization is incapable of adding a premium free agent.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Does anyone remember when the original CardsTalk "Our season is over" thread was posted? I want to say it was week 1 or 2, but I'm not sure.

OmahaCard79
Veteran Player

Post by OmahaCard79 »

ghostrunner wrote:
May 5 23, 8:22 am
Does anyone remember when the original CardsTalk "Our season is over" thread was posted? I want to say it was week 1 or 2, but I'm not sure.
Ahhh yes. StLouisSportsFan, I believe. Sometime in the mid April range of 2004.

Unfortunately, this isn't 2004.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I actually checked WebArchive and nothing from 2004. Did find this from 2002 though. La Russa topics all over the place.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020903052 ... m.php?f=11

Also - "Fassero Bashers, Where are You?"

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

OmahaCard79 wrote:
May 5 23, 8:26 am
ghostrunner wrote:

My memory is he posted that at the end of spring training. But that was long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Walkaflocka25
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Walkaflocka25 »

jagtrader wrote:
May 5 23, 8:18 am
Don’t trade Goldschmidt and Arenado. That’s stupid. Those returns rarely pan out and this organization is incapable of adding a premium free agent.
Not saying I would want to. But what could we get for either of them? We seem to have prospects almost ready to take over at their positions. Baker at 1b and Walker/Gorman at 3b.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Now would actually be the ideal time to trade Godly and Nolan, in my opinion.

This team isn't a trade away from competing, or a FA signing away. They need to start over.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Walkaflocka25 wrote:
May 5 23, 9:34 am
jagtrader wrote:
May 5 23, 8:18 am
Not saying I would want to. But what could we get for either of them? We seem to have prospects almost ready to take over at their positions. Baker at 1b and Walker/Gorman at 3b.
Goldschmidt would be an interesting case, he'd have 1.5 years at 26 million AAV and is still chugging along as an elite bat despite turning 36 in September. I could see a team giving up a prospect or two of substance, but the market for near-FA trades hasn't really included Top 50 caliber prospects for a few years now. There's also the question of finding a match, you need a team that expects to win right away, has the ability to add on Goldschmidt's money, and has a need at 1B(or DH if they have a poor fielding 1B), which could end up being a narrow path. Maybe the Phillies?

Arenado feels a bit more straight forward in that until he shows he's back to at least 2021 levels, trading him and his 4.5 years at 30 million AAV would be a pure salary dump, and that might persist even if he does get back to 2021 levels.

jack76
Everyday Player

Post by jack76 »

Oooo. Mention of the Phillies makes me thirsty for Painter. Painter is not likely to be fully up and running for a playoff run, but you could see Dombrowski trading a prospect for an All-Star. Gaining an Andrew Painter pairs very nicely with Hence in another 2 years with our wave of Walker, Wynn, Baker, ect.

For those of you against trading Goldie, I would ask a very direct question, "Do you really expect them to compete for a World Series this year or next?" I don't think it is feasible. Rebuilding a pitching staff doesn't seem likely, so you should cash in Goldie and accelerate that process.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 5 23, 9:26 am
OmahaCard79 wrote:
May 5 23, 8:26 am
ghostrunner wrote:

My memory is he posted that at the end of spring training. But that was long ago in a galaxy far, far away.
That's what I remember, as well. The Sunday before Opening Day.