Post by Famous Mortimer »

heyzeus wrote:
May 23 23, 11:15 am
Famous Mortimer wrote:
May 23 23, 11:07 am
heyzeus wrote:
May 22 23, 8:07 am
Do you think he didn't try?
I'm certain he tried, but what's the difference between now and then?
Most likely even DeJong and the coaches themselves couldn't tell you the exact factor that has made the difference, but probably some combination of a new coaching approach to the mechanics his swing, working on the mental approach to hitting, and improved physical/mental health. Not "he wasn't trying before, but he's trying now."
I didn't say he wasn't trying, just that he didn't try and do the specific (and apparently unknowable) things that improved his game. It reflects poorly on someone, whether him or his coaches or the front office that didn't have a clue how to fix his game for three years. I'm not sure I like this "well, hopefully we'll luck into a combination of things that will turn this bum into an all-star at some point before his contract's up" view of the coaching process.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Where is everyone on DeJong?

Post by heyzeus »

Coaches don't know how to fix every player who struggles, and players can't always make every adjustment needed to survive in the game. That's the reality of competing at the highest level. I'd wager that DeJong has been trying everything he could to get back to the bigs and succeed, so it's silly to imply that he just wasn't trying hard enough or the right way, as if it was as simple as watching the Youtube tutorial on how to change your car's oil and he was too lazy too do it until just this year.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

dmarx114 wrote:
May 23 23, 11:39 am
Ride him while he's hot, but I am not convinced he's turned everything around. I hope I am wrong.
Well, he's clearly not peak Mike Trout. I think most are simply saying he's return to being a positive WAR player. Even a one win player is worth his salary.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

dmarx114 wrote:
Ride him while he's hot
hot

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
May 23 23, 3:33 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
Ride him while he's hot
hot
HOT

Come on everybody - sing it with BUSTER!

RIDE HIM WHILE HE'S...

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
May 23 23, 2:15 pm
heyzeus wrote:
May 23 23, 11:15 am
Famous Mortimer wrote:
May 23 23, 11:07 am
heyzeus wrote:
May 22 23, 8:07 am
Do you think he didn't try?
I'm certain he tried, but what's the difference between now and then?
Most likely even DeJong and the coaches themselves couldn't tell you the exact factor that has made the difference, but probably some combination of a new coaching approach to the mechanics his swing, working on the mental approach to hitting, and improved physical/mental health. Not "he wasn't trying before, but he's trying now."
I didn't say he wasn't trying, just that he didn't try and do the specific (and apparently unknowable) things that improved his game. It reflects poorly on someone, whether him or his coaches or the front office that didn't have a clue how to fix his game for three years. I'm not sure I like this "well, hopefully we'll luck into a combination of things that will turn this bum into an all-star at some point before his contract's up" view of the coaching process.
Bum isn't really a fair adjective for DeJong though. Even at his absolute worst, he is still an incredibly talented player. The margin between a guy bouncing between AAA/MLB and an everyday starter or even an All Star is incredibly thin. Players all have their own swing and I'm not sure how much teams are going to tinker with them unless there is a need to do so. Great swings don't necessarily equate to great hitters, and ugly swings don't equate to bad hitters.

I'd agree its unsettling to think they've invested millions in a player and are just throwing stuff at a wall hoping something sticks or makes him better. But, that's probably not fair to their approach nor is there evidence that's what they were doing, afaik. Highly likely they have hitting gurus that have thoroughly analyzed DeJong's swing, worked with him to address anything that was causing issues and what he's comfortable with, and went from there.

One good example that I can remember off the top of my head is Matt Holliday adjusting/shortening his stride as he got older so he could still catch up to the fastball.

Apples to oranges here, but take for example a guy like Corbin Burnes. Great prospect, terrible start to his career in the bigs, learns a new grip at the age of like 24 and wala, goes from one of the worst pitchers in the league to one of the best. Like I said, the margin between AAA/mlb bus riders and All Stars is incredibly thin when you get to the level they're at.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Dejong with his trademark bad week (bad month/bad rest of season) after his post minor league hot start.
3 for 23 with 1BB 7ks. 1 HR and 504ops.

So how long does he get to show that this time is different?
I’m rooting for him, but I would not be surprised if this was his last hurrah and he just implodes.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The whole team is slumping - just look at Contreras and Arenado. I’m not worried about PDJ - yet.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Did he turn into a pumpkin again?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
June 2 23, 2:06 pm
Did he turn into a pumpkin again?