5/22 GDT: Cardinals(Montgomery) @ Reds(Williamson) 5:40 PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: 5/22 GDT: Cardinals(Montgomery) @ Reds(Williamson) 5:40 PM CT

Post by JoeMcKim »

jagtrader wrote:
May 23 23, 6:26 am
Knizner isn’t a AAA catcher. The difference between him and Barrera is striking.
Now that Contreras is catching again why exactly is Barrera still on the MLB roster?

On a sidenote I can't believe I'm actually about to say this, but the Cardinals seriously have to consider picking up DeJong's option for next year.

Tags:

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

JoeMcKim wrote:
May 23 23, 8:16 am
jagtrader wrote:
Knizner isn’t a AAA catcher. The difference between him and Barrera is striking.
Now that Contreras is catching again why exactly is Barrera still on the MLB roster?

On a sidenote I can't believe I'm actually about to say this, but the Cardinals seriously have to consider picking up DeJong's option for next year.
My assumption is that they still want to use Contreras as a DH when he needs a day off from catching, especially against lefties. And a third catcher adds more flexibility in terms of pinch hitting for Knizner, since you can do so without losing the DH.

That said, I think Mo is outsmarting himself here. If you want to pinch hit for Kiz, just do it, and don't worry about losing the DH. Hardly ever does the spot come up again, especially with ghost runners. And if it does, you will likely have someone available to inch hit for a pitcher anyway. Lastly, Barrera just isn't good enough to fill in at catcher, or hit for himself, if the time comes for it, like it did last night. He has no business being on the 26 man roster.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

dmarx114 wrote:
May 23 23, 8:26 am
JoeMcKim wrote:
May 23 23, 8:16 am
jagtrader wrote:

My assumption is that they still want to use Contreras as a DH when he needs a day off from catching, especially against lefties. And a third catcher adds more flexibility in terms of pinch hitting for Knizner, since you can do so without losing the DH.
It's like teams have forgotten they're allowed to do double switches late in games. Cardinals are essentially playing with a 3 man bench.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

jagtrader wrote:
Ok Barrera is a AA catcher

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Knizner is a good MLB catcher. Can’t hit. Most catchers can’t hit.