A's broadcaster Glen Kuiper Fired

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: A's broadcaster Glen Kuiper Fired

Post by ghostrunner »

It’s weird how this rates firing and yet Mel Gibson still finds work for what was about as far from a slip of the tongue as you can get. And it’s not as if he’s done any apparent work to make up for it. Just laid low for a couple years.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Upon further internal review, they realized the team is horrendous, moving cities and the fans hate them anyway so they might as well save a few bucks and break this contract.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Bruiser Brody wrote:
May 24 23, 6:48 pm
We now live in times that an honest mistake gets you pink slipped. Lovely.
As opposed to the good old days when you could be murdered by your bosses for suggesting a union might be a good idea?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

haltz wrote:
May 24 23, 10:03 pm
Upon further internal review, they realized the team is horrendous, moving cities and the fans hate them anyway so they might as well save a few bucks and break this contract.
Its this. He's old and they were probably going to leave him in California when they moved anyway. The future of broadcasting/streaming rights is unclear and pbp guys don't move the needle in any way that matters, so if your franchise already doesn't give a [expletive] about that kind of consistency and culture or the fan experience, just let him go and hire someone cheaper.

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Post by KenBoyer14 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
May 25 23, 5:51 am
Bruiser Brody wrote:
As opposed to the good old days when you could be murdered by your bosses for suggesting a union might be a good idea?
As opposed to the good old days when union goons would threaten to kill you and your family if you simply went to work in a non-union shop. Yes, it happened to me in Gary, IN. Luckily, they decided to only slit all 4 of the NEW tires on my car and smashed my windshield. Guess, I should be lucky to be alive. They left me a nice business card, too, reminding me that they knew where my family and I lived. The threats of violence did go both ways. Maybe they still do.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

KenBoyer14 wrote:
May 25 23, 9:52 am
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Bruiser Brody wrote:
As opposed to the good old days when union goons would threaten to kill you and your family if you simply went to work in a non-union shop. Yes, it happened to me in Gary, IN. Luckily, they decided to only slit all 4 of the NEW tires on my car and smashed my windshield. Guess, I should be lucky to be alive. They left me a nice business card, too, reminding me that they knew where my family and I lived. The threats of violence did go both ways. Maybe they still do.
Why would you betray your brothers and side with the millionaires and billionaires that will never see you as anything other than a meaningless cog to replace or remove at the earliest opportunity?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

KenBoyer14 wrote:
I'll take "things that definitely never happened" for 100 please, Alex

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 25 23, 10:17 am
KenBoyer14 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Bruiser Brody wrote:
Why would you betray your brothers and side with the millionaires and billionaires that will never see you as anything other than a meaningless cog to replace or remove at the earliest opportunity?

There's a ton of corruption among union leadership these days, too. I'd be careful about generalizing in either direction.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
May 25 23, 12:34 pm
KenBoyer14 wrote:
I'll take "things that definitely never happened" for 100 please, Alex

I have a pretty open mind about Unions especially now with income disparity, technology, and the continued commoditization of human beings. However, when I was a kid my dad didn't like the union plan presented to him. We absolutely had a guy sent to our house, knock on our door, and then stand by his car in the driveway and stare daggers at our house for at least 30 minutes when he was told no conversation was desired. Made it hard for me and my siblings (who answered the door) to fully engage in an episode of Full House. My dad had bigger problems with it but just let the guy go away on his own. Perhaps my dad was wrong. But that is stupid bull [expletive].

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
May 25 23, 10:17 am
KenBoyer14 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:
Bruiser Brody wrote:
Maybe that paycheck was needed to feed the family, keep a roof over the family's head, or who knows what else. there are 3 sides to every story.