Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on May 30. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Pretty brief chat this week. No bonus Q&As, either.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with ... 15928.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Why haven’t the Reds, who are badly in need of good starting pitching, called up theIr super prospect Andrew Abbott yet?

Steve Adams
I wouldn't call him a super-prospect, but I don't have a good answer as to why they're trotting out a journeyman like Ben Lively over him at this point. Lively's pitched well, so kudos to him, but going with him and Luke Weaver is an odd call. I think Abbott will be up at some point this summer, but Weaver's pitched well in two of his past three, which has probably delayed the promotion.
Could the Reds end up trading India? Would look real good atop the Angels lineup even though they would have to end up platooning some combo of Drury/Urshela/Walsh if none of them go back in the trade package.

Steve Adams
I don't think he'll be shopped by the Reds, but I'm sure they'd listen to offers. He has three years of control after the 2023 season, though, so the ask would be substantial.

None of Drury (on a two-year free agent deal), Urshela (free agent at season's end) or Walsh (ongoing, vague and concerning health issues) would be likely to be a prominent part of such a trade.
When will we see Elly De La Cruz?

Steve Adams
I don't think it's necessarily right on the horizon. They're taking a look at McLain at shortstop right now, and he's obviously impressed. Senzel's bat has picked up since the move to 3B, and whether that's coincidental or not, you don't want to take him out of the lineup right now. India's hitting well at second base.

I can see Senzel (two years of team control beyond '23) playing his way into trade candidacy. Injuries could open another spot. But right now, I think they've got a productive mix of non-1B infielders, and if that means EDLC spends more time getting seasoning down in AAA, that's not a bad thing. He still only has 157 PAs above Double-A and is still punching out at a 27% clip there, so it's not like the extra development time is a bad thing or somehow frivolous.
Besides Lucas Giolito and Eduardo Rodriguez who else could be traded?

Steve Adams
I've said before that I don't even think E-Rod is a surefire trade candidate; the opt-out clause makes it really difficult to move him. It's possible, but the acquiring team is taking on tons of downside and that'll factor into the return.

Other names I can see hitting the market: Alex Cobb, Alex Wood, Anthony DeSclafani, Paul Blackburn, Trevor Williams, Luke Weaver... Michael Lorenzen and Matthew Boyd depending on how the Tigers play (if they're moving E-Rod, they'll listen on these two as well). Nick Pivetta, Corey Kluber.

Cubs are free-falling, which should put Stroman, Smyly and Hendricks in play if they can't turn it around. White Sox could certainly move Lynn.

If the Cardinals can't climb out of this -- they looked on their way to it for awhile before falling back down a bit -- then Montgomery or Flaherty make sense as impending free agents. They'd probably welcome the opportunity to get out from the Matz deal.
Do you think 87 wins takes the NL Central?

Steve Adams
I could see that yeah. The NL Central is probably better than the AL Central if only because there's no one in the NLC as bad as the Royals, but it's still very nearly as bad as its AL counterpart.
Brice Turang --- bust, or just a rookie being a rookie?

Steve Adams
I don't love the current K-BB profile, and the batted-ball quality is below average, but I'm never going to call someone a bust after like 150 MLB PAs. He needs to make some gains at the plate, but he can play defense and run well, so he's already partway to being at least a useful utility guy -- and I don't at all think the door's closed on more than that.
Should the Cardinals look to trade Luken Baker and Ivan Herrara? Two guys tearing it up at Triple A that tied with a Dylan Carlson could bring back a decent starting pitcher, yes?

Steve Adams
I think Herrera certainly makes sense as a trade candidate with Contreras signed long-term. I thought it from the time they signed Willson and still do. He's ready right now for an audition as a team's everyday big league catcher.

Tags: