Walker back up

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: Walker back up

Post by a_smith »

I just don't get it. Why try this again?
I cannot figure out why they would call him up.

A 746ops does not scream call him up.
He is not tearing the cover off the ball. He has not yet got even close to figuring out AAA pitchers. He will get owned by MLB pitchers.

His defense is still really bad. Watch a game with him and his routes are just crappy. He needs a lot of reps out there.

He wasn't ready at the start of the season and he does not seem ready now,

If they need an OF why not bring up Gomez? He is on the 40 man. He is not a good OF, but he is not going to be worse than Walker right now. Oh, and he is [expletive] crushing the ball again. He just put up 12HR in May. Yeah he strikes out a lot and does not walk, but jeez that sounds a lot like Walker right now.

It's clear that Walker has a much more promising future but I cannot see why they would bring him up nd not Gomez. It just seems like a PR stunt or some [expletive] inability to admit that they were wrong about Walker at the start of the year.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Speaking of call ups, are they ever gonna let Luken Baker a chance at DH?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
June 2 23, 8:18 am
Speaking of call ups, are they ever gonna let Luken Baker a chance at DH?
this; seems like the perfect RH DH compliment to LH Gorman (yepez sucks)

send yepez and the make believe 3rd C down, and bring him up

and don't understand why walker is back up...he hasn't "fixed" anything with his swing and OF still is terrible....let the poor guy spend the year down in the minors (myself would have him in Jupiter getting tons of 1-1 time with his swing and defense, instead of trying to work with him on the fly in games)

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

a_smith wrote:
June 2 23, 8:05 am

A 746ops does not scream call him up.
He is not tearing the cover off the ball. He has not yet got even close to figuring out AAA pitchers. He will get owned by MLB pitchers.

His defense is still really bad. Watch a game with him and his routes are just crappy. He needs a lot of reps out there.

He wasn't ready at the start of the season and he does not seem ready now,

If they need an OF why not bring up Gomez? He is on the 40 man. He is not a good OF, but he is not going to be worse than Walker right now. Oh, and he is [expletive] crushing the ball again. He just put up 12HR in May. Yeah he strikes out a lot and does not walk, but jeez that sounds a lot like Walker right now.

It's clear that Walker has a much more promising future but I cannot see why they would bring him up nd not Gomez. It just seems like a PR stunt or some [expletive] inability to admit that they were wrong about Walker at the start of the year.
This is a stunt 100%. They know the team is bad bad bad, and the sooner the fans figure it out they wont be paying for seats as much. There will still be a bunch of people looking to enjoy the ballpark this summer. But the buzz behind a star prospect, when will waino get 200, and a bevvy of bobbleheads keep the fans talking Cardinals baseball in a good way.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
June 2 23, 9:14 am
a bevvy of bobbleheads
If this isn't the official name for a group of bobbleheads, it should be.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

They rooned him.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

a_smith wrote:
June 2 23, 8:05 am
I don't necessarily disagree with you or Phins when he says he could develop at AAA for the entire year and that wouldn't be a bad thing, but I think the launch angle stuff is less of an actual problem than an articulable reason to send him down and manipulate service time.

Now they've done that, TON will probably get traded, you've got outfields full of DHs that aren't hitting, middle infield utility players and a failed prospect on any given day and this team needs all the upside it can get to go on a run and have a shot at the postseason. The sky is the limit for someone who has the tools to play defense and hits the ball as hard as anyone in the big leagues at 20 years old. Whether that materializes this year or ever is anyone's guess but at least they aren't throwing in the towel on the season.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

thrill wrote:
June 2 23, 9:51 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
June 2 23, 9:14 am
a bevvy of bobbleheads
If this isn't the official name for a group of bobbleheads, it should be.
My 7yr old recently informed me that a group of Pugs is called a "grumble".

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

dmarx114 wrote:
June 2 23, 7:22 am
My guess is Brrea gets sent down.
Noot to IL
Cardinals placed OF Lars Nootbaar on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to May 30, with a lower back contusion.

Another center fielder down for the Cardinals. Nootbaar will require some extended rest after injuring his back while chasing down a fly ball during Monday's game against the Royals. Jordan Walker will replace Nootbaar on the active roster, but look for Tommy Edman and Oscar Mercado to see time in center field for now.

Jun 2, 2023, 2:30 PM ET

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Trips to the IL is now the "Cardinal Way" for OF'ers.