Questions for John Dewan

The place where GRB members interview baseball authorities.
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your expertise with GRB!

It seems that defensive metrics have been behind offensive ones because there are so many variables to account for. As technology becomes increasingly applied to quantifying defense, will the secrets of the other half of the game become unlocked?

Do you think there will always be aspects of the game that defy mathematical analysis?

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

With the development of computer technology, where do you see data collection technology going in the near future? What would be the most valuable batted-ball information for developing the most accurate fielding statistics?

Out of curiousity, have you ever watched cricket? It's a statman's dream.

Thanks for stopping by John!

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

JackofDiamonds wrote: Out of curiousity, have you ever watched cricket? It's a statman's dream.
It's true, I fabricated the entire game in a lucid reality-altering dream. Every time I try to dream it back out of existence all I get is a recurring nightmare about a giant cricket that lurks in my tennis shoes. 8-[

That said, may I ask:

I love dabbling in detailed analysis and am always looking for detailed sources of data. I am aware of the lahman free database (just season totals of basic stats), the retrosheet event files (a free ever-increasing treasure trove!)

What are the best sources of detailed game data, both free and for purchase?

Also, there are various database sources containing all trades and signings in MLB history. However, I have not seen any historical databases or listings detailing actual complete roster moves (DL, sent to AAA, recalled from AAA) etc... Do you know of any good source for that data besides microfiche of old issues of the Sporting News? :scratch:

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

StatmanCrothers wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote: Out of curiousity, have you ever watched cricket? It's a statman's dream.
It's true, I fabricated the entire game in a lucid reality-altering dream. Every time I try to dream it back out of existence all I get is a recurring nightmare about a giant cricket that lurks in my tennis shoes. 8-[
Ha! First thing I thought of when I wrote it.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Check out John's answers here.