Interview Questions for Mike Maroth

The place where GRB members interview baseball authorities.
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Interview Questions for Mike Maroth

Post by Popeye_Card »

I have to ask a depressing question.

Mike, as we all know you are the only 20-loss season in baseball since 1980. What was going through your mind as as the big 20 was approaching? Did the Tigers ever offer to send you down to AAA, or go on the disabled list? Did that dubious distinction ever enter your mind while you were on the mound, or was it just a factoid for the press to toy with? I know players always SAY that it doesn't affect them, but does it really?

--P--

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Hi Mike

Hope all is well with you and your family.

1. If you could be a chess piece, which would you be?
2. how is your relationship with the media?
3. have you ever met john tudor or seen him pitch? You are very similar to him.
4. What's your favorite pitch?

many thanks

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

You have had some experience pitching against NL in interleague but do you think you have the advantage in facing most of these players for the first time? Or do the hitters have the advantage?

Also, how do you approach pitching against the opposing pitcher when he is batting? Do you typically just grove some pitches trying to get out of it with one pitch? Or do you go after him with some breaking pitches and really embarrass him?

Rolencarnacion
Everyday Player

Post by Rolencarnacion »

Mike Again Welcome toThe Cardinals.

I know you haven't gotten to work with Yadiar Molina yet. But having a great respect for Pudge as one of the premier catchers of our generation, could you maybe give as a blog after you work with Yadi and compare the styles of the two? I for one would like to know how their styles compare and how much of an influence Pudge was for Yadi growing up? Thanks

Very Very Glad you are now a Cardinal.

Peace Ver

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Thanks again Mike.

Given how the World Series played out, was PFP a major issue in Spring Training?

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

Mike thanks for taking this time.

1. Having been there and more than likely seen it just what the heck did Kenny Rogers have on his hand in the World Series?

2. How much do you hate the Chicago Cubs?

3. How many games did you typically play in the youth leagues(12u-16u) during the summer and how often did you pitch during a typical week? What kind of pitch count were you on in those days?

picasso
All-Star

Post by picasso »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time, it's greatly appreciated.

1. I believe this is the first time you have been traded. Were you expecting a trade? Do you feel it benefits you? and what about changing teams (and leagues) has surprised you?

2. I know it's early, but are Leyland and LaRussa similar managers in terms of handling players and a clubhouse? How are they different?

3. How does this team's personality (clubhouse demeanor) compare to the one in Detroit?

4, Echoing Fanforever, Cardinal fans hope you are the second coming of John Tudor. Are you familiar with him and his pitching style and how does it compare to yours?

Welcome to St. Louis.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Hi Mike, you have a very impressive website. What inspired you to start a blog? Do you ever check out internet message boards to see what the fans are saying or do you try to avoid that?

Thanks, and good luck in STL!

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Hi Mike, thanks for your time-

What hitter (or kind of hitter) gives you the most trouble?

What city/ballpark do you most enjoy when on the road?

How often did you watch/listen/go to games as you were growing up?

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Mike,
Welcome to the Cardinals and thanks for taking our questions!

We are all well aware of the scouting reports compiled on your opponents, but what about umpires? Is there any thought or discussion on how to possibly take advantage of a particular umpires known strike zone - i.e. a guy that maybe is known to give you a little on the corners or the high strike? Or would you rather just go out and pitch your game and not "adjust" to who is calling the game?

Thanks.