Answers with Brian Gunn

The place where GRB members interview baseball authorities.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Answers with Brian Gunn

Post by ghostrunner »

skmsw wrote: A lot has happened since you left RN. What do you think of the overall direction of the team? Would be interested in your thoughts on both micro (Lohse extension, Schumacher at second base, etc) and macro (draft strategy, overall roster composition, current depth of minor league system, correct approach to how to surround Pujols during his prime, etc) issues.
BG: Hi skmsw. Overall I like the direction of the team since I left RN. We got our world title in there and we finally replenished our farm system (which is the only way a smaller market like St. Louis can compete). About some of your specific concerns --

The Lohse extension: I liked it. The guy doesn’t have killer stuff, but he fits well here and with our shaky rotation we simply NEEDED a workhorse like Lohse. (His current injury has nothing to do with poor mechanics or lack of durability – it coulda happened to anyone.)

Schumaker at 2B: I still don’t understand why we didn’t go harder after Orlando Hudson or a major-league-ready prospect like Brandon Wood. A groundball staff like the Cards’ needs Hoovers on the infield, and Schu ain’t. That said, the move hasn’t been the disaster many thought it’d be, and I love having an extra bat in there every day.

Supporting Pujols: Our front office approach to this has been fine, but Glaus’ injury really threw a monkey wrench into the execution. When everyone is healthy, we have plenty of bats surrounding Pujols, but our latest run of injuries and Rasmus’ and Greene’s subpar play haven’t helped. But again, to me those things are less a failure of design than a failure of luck.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Michael wrote:Brian, thank you for taking our questions!

What do you feel is the single most important thing the Cardinals as an organization need to improve upon?

How would you grade John Mozeliak's performance thus far?
BG: The jury is still out on Mozeliak, but I give him a B so far. He doesn’t seem especially creative, and I don’t support many of his moves (i.e., I think he scrimped too much on team defense). But I’m glad, for example, he didn’t give into TLR’s desire for a big name free agent closer; I thought the Rolen deal was bold and sensible; and so on. We can’t fully evaluate him, though, until we know whether he’s able to sign Pujols, or how some of his bigger draft picks (particularly Wallace) pan out.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

TimeForGuinness wrote: My question deals with the drafting strategies of the Cardinals. It seems like in previous years they've been taking pitchers with low ceiling but high floors, do you see this trend continuing? Do you think it was done to establish a solid foundation, and will we see higher ceiling / higher risk pitching prospects being drafted in the future?
BG: Unfortunately, TFG, I have no evidence that this was the thinking, but I have to imagine it was. It’s probably a smart strategy, but, as you say, we’re seeing its limits. We need more potential #2 and #3 starters, even if most flame out.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

greenback44 wrote: Brian, I've got three questions, which are pretty simple to state, but with answers that could go in all kinds of directions. I think it's better if you chose the avenue:

(1) What do you think of Pujols?

(2) What do you think of La Russa?

(3) What do you think of DeWitt? Or maybe here I should ask how is the shark doing?
BG: Here you go, greenback:

(1) I actually get sad sometimes thinking there will come a day when I’ll no longer be able to watch Pujols. Not only is he the best Cardinal I’ve ever seen, he’s probably the best Cardinal I ever WILL see.

(2) I’ve come around to La Russa. He frustrated me in the early years for a variety of reasons. But his (and Duncan’s) ability to transform journeyman pitchers can’t be overstated, and every year the Cards seem to do better than I think they will. At some point that stops being coincidence.

(3) I don’t really trust DeWitt. He said in 2004 that the new stadium would allow the team an increased payroll, but team spending has actually gone DOWN over the past 5 years. I wonder if DeWitt (an oil man from way back), is too faithful to the logic of extractive industry: get in, get your prize, get out.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

thanks GR :thumb: