Questions for "Prince" Joe Henry

The place where GRB members interview baseball authorities.
bronx_bird
All-Star

Post by bronx_bird »

Thank you very much for your time, sir.

when you were playing professional baseball....

What's the funniest thing you ever saw on a ballfield?

What's the greatest play you ever saw on a ballfield?

Was there any one veteran whom you looked up to the most? and if so, why?

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

Thanks for taking our questions!

Names such as Josh Gibson, who never played in the majors, and Satchel Paige, who was past his prime by the time he got his shot, have become reasonably well known to today's baseball fan.

Who do you believe might be some of the best players of the Negro leagues who deserve more recognition?

By the time you played for Memphis in 52-53, integration in the majors and minors was well underway, although some teams were still lagging behind (Sad to say, St Louis didn't have their first black player until 1954).

During those years when the majors began signing players from the Negro Leagues but the Negro Leagues still were operating, what was the general feeling of the players who remained, through choice or lack of opportunity, towards those who accepted offers to go to the minors and majors?

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

I spoke with "Prince" Joe this morning and he wanted me to tell everyone at GRB "Hi!" The recent storms that ravaged the St. Louis area had left Mr. Henry without power up until yesterday. He's doing well and is looking forward to the interview!