Questions for Jason "Professor" Parks

The place where GRB members interview baseball authorities.
Jason Parks
Single A Minor League Player

Re: Questions for Kevin Goldstein

Post by Jason Parks »

a_smith wrote:What are the best and worst organizations for teaching prospects/ training prospects to reach their potential?

Where do the Cardinals fit?
Player development starts and ends with talent. Even the best player dev orgs can't turn a guy without tools into a guy with tools. But the Cardinals are better than most when it comes to maximizing the potential of their players, which is extremely important. Just look at how many late-round draft picks the Cardinals are able to get use out of at the major league level? That's huge.

Jason Parks

Post by Jason Parks »

Fat Strat wrote:Cards fans have been talking about Kolten Wong all year, some even calling for his call up to the majors. I'm not sure any of those people have looked at his stats this season in the hitter-friendly Texas League. Should Cards fans be worried about Wong?
No reason to worry. Yes, the Texas League can be hitter friendly, but it was also Wong's first full pro season and that's a huge jump for a player to make. Another thing to keep in mind is the size of the Texas League. It's very small, with only eight teams, so the book gets written on a player much faster than in larger leagues. This allows pitchers to focus on hitters and make adjustments, and for young players, it can really sap their second half performance. Wong is the second baseman of the future for the Cardinals, and that should happen no later than 2014.

Jason Parks

Post by Jason Parks »

Fat Strat wrote:Cards fans had mixed reactions when Luhnow left for Houston. The new regime has one draft under their belt, with mixed reviews. Will we regret losing him or will we not even notice he's gone?
The answer can be both. Luhnow and Sig were key parts of the process, but the Cards still have excellent scouts, player dev, coaches, and front office personnel. It takes more than one person to make it all happen.

Jason Parks

Post by Jason Parks »

Fat Strat wrote:Give me one under the radar player in the Cards system that we should keep our eye on.
Charlie Tilson. He's finally healthy and ready to go. He will be in the top ten next season. Bet on it.

go birds
-go birds

Re: Questions for Jason "Professor" Parks

Post by go birds »

Carlos Martinez.....starter or reliever when's its all said and done?

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

If it were your decision, who would you cast as the fifth starter now that Carp's gone and assuming Lynn already has a spot? Miller, Rosenthal, or Kelly?

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

I have no question, but this is awesome. I love(d?) the podcast.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
heyzeus wrote:Nate Silver has drawn wide acclaim for his 538 blog, where he applies sabermetric principles to predictive analysis of elections. What other areas of life do you think sabermetric type analysis could be or are being applied to change the way we approach a problem?

Do you apply advanced metrics to braised short ribs?
Do you not?
As a matter of fact, I do.

I also apply them to parenting. And to my marriage, which my wife loves.
Little Bobby's fLAR (home-neutral love above replacement child) has slipped with his grades.
Well Jason... do you not?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

why was this question not answered?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I love braised short ribs...

Do you expect Adams to take over at 1B and if so what happens to Craig?

What are your thoughts on Lynn's weight loss?