2012 MLB Draft Thread

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: 2012 MLB Draft Thread

Post by phins »

Joey Gallo is a kid I really liked out of a Nevada HS. He has insane power and a great arm...contact might be a problem against advanced breaking balls, but he is off to a crazy great start in rookie ball, including 4 HR's and 13 walks in 29 appearances.

Very SSS, but we passed on Gallo's upside for Ramsey, and Gallo signed for $2.2 million...the Ramsey selection will always be scrutinized, but the Cards decided to pay Kelly way over slot instead of paying earlier.

I'll always keep an eye on Gallo because my amateur eye liked him a lot...Though I'm an admitted power whore.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

@dgoold: #Cardinals 1st-round James Ramsey has his pro debut tonight with High-A Palm Beach, goes 3-for-5, double, run. Batted 3rd, CF #stlminors

Time for all y'all to eat crow.

Joking.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

phins wrote:
jerbyrd25 wrote:
phins wrote:The only thing that changes if we don't sign him for that crazy amount is we have 150k less to spend and the 5% overage before penalty amount is reduced. The money being removed from pool doesn't matter outside that context.

He had no leverage for that amount. What a confusing decision.
I think we had already spent that money though when they announced the Kelly oversign and the premature announcement on Foody signing, which is the leverage that Ramsey cashed in on after the CWS.
No, getting Ramsey's money added to the pool didn't change anything other than the amount saved (in this case we saved 150k against the pool).

It doesn't change anything other than the 5% overage calculation.
I understand that, but I meant they maybe were looking at saving more with Ramsey and he backed out of a deal for less money after the Cardinals had hamstrung themselves with the other two.

Not to mention, going over the pool by 5% means we will LOSE a pick next year in that bonus round for teams in small markets. That sucks.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Up to 5% doesn't lose a pick, but I understand the thought process. I can't allege he backed out of a deal...I think the Cards just liked him more than anyone else.

I'm sure we all just hope they're right now.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

phins wrote:Up to 5% doesn't lose a pick, but I understand the thought process. I can't allege he backed out of a deal...I think the Cards just liked him more than anyone else.

I've read that a team that gets into the 5% buffer pool that is taxed in the preceding draft are eliminated from the raffle for the supplemental round for small market teams for next year's draft.

Also, those picks are tradeable, which is intriguing.
Last edited by jerbyrd25 on July 3 12, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

phins wrote:Up to 5% doesn't lose a pick, but I understand the thought process. I can't allege he backed out of a deal...I think the Cards just liked him more than anyone else.

I'm not referring to the picks in the main draft and supplemental rounds which the 5% and beyond will cost a team.
Last edited by jerbyrd25 on July 3 12, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

Of course, for that "round" to exist, teams have to go over their budget beyond 5% this year and the Cardinals would have to be worried about losing that raffle (up to 13 teams possibly eligible) for those picks.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

Any idea what Heyer signed for??

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

jerbyrd25 wrote:Any idea what Heyer signed for??
$165k (full pick value).