2012 MLB Draft Thread

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: 2012 MLB Draft Thread

Post by phins »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:he's also a pitcher. or should be
Carson Kelly?

If so, he should be a hitter rather than a pitcher IMHO. 2-4 with a bomb tonight...he'll get adjusted and be fine.

Cory Jones (5th round pick out of College of the Canyons Juco) made his debut tonight and pitched 3 hitless with 5 K's (Johnson City was one strike away from a no-hitter). Power curve and fastball combo make him a reliever in my view, but they want to let him try starting.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

James Ramsey signs for 1.6 million according to Jim Callis. Full pick value is 1.775, so not much savings there.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

So I no longer hate that pick. I really hate it now.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Pretty sure our chances of signing williams just went out the window with that signing

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

go birds wrote:Pretty sure our chances of signing williams just went out the window with that signing
Williams and every other over slot signing the Cards had drafted.

phins

Post by phins »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:James Ramsey signs for 1.6 million according to Jim Callis. Full pick value is 1.775, so not much savings there.
That's flat out horrific.

I don't say that very often, but it's inexcusable and indefensible on every level thinkable. Why in the Sam hell would you pay that guy that much? Hell, they barely saved a dime on a Senior.

Just unbelievably unreal.

phins

Post by phins »

Swirls wrote:
go birds wrote:Pretty sure our chances of signing williams just went out the window with that signing
Williams and every other over slot signing the Cards had drafted.
Oh without a doubt...it's reprehensible. I mean wow...

He's a S-E-N-I-O-R...you tell him to pound sand for that amount of money, and offer him 700k and tell him take it or leave it.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Max Foody has sign per goold.

Rieges
Veteran Player

Post by Rieges »

If true it's now REALLY hard to understand the draft strategy of this team.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Well, the scout has come out and said he was pushing hard for them to take Ramsey because he thinks he's going to be a solid everyday starter - Brett Gardner, Johnny Damon, Lenny Dykstra were the comps the regional scout pushing for the signing gave. If, and it's obviously an if as all draft picks are, that is true, then kudos to the Cards for trusting their scouts and getting a guy they wanted that has a good career in the big leagues regardless of what other scouts/internet junkies said.

I've never heard anyone say that if a guy is available that you have super high on your board, you should let him slide because you think he will probably be available two rounds from now.

But, the signing bonus is rather bothering if it is 1.6M. It seems like the Cardinals hold all the leverage here and should be able to get him for less money.

Not knowing what the scenario is, I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best...despite it looking rather wasteful not only in monetary terms but also in talent taken with the 23rd pick.