Billy Hamilton

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Billy Hamilton

Post by JoeMcKim »

Billy Hamilton is an appropriate name for him though, that was the name of the pre 1900 ballplayer who was the MLB stolen base all time leader until Lou Brock broke the record.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

JoeMcKim wrote:Billy Hamilton is an appropriate name for him though, that was the name of the pre 1900 ballplayer who was the MLB stolen base all time leader until Lou Brock broke the record.
I believe those are the only 2 Billy Hamilton's ever in pro ball. Which surprises me because Hamilton and Bill are both pretty common names.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

cards2468 wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:Billy Hamilton is an appropriate name for him though, that was the name of the pre 1900 ballplayer who was the MLB stolen base all time leader until Lou Brock broke the record.
I believe those are the only 2 Billy Hamilton's ever in pro ball. Which surprises me because Hamilton and Bill are both pretty common names.

Billy Hamilton was the kid down the street when I was growing up. I remember in 5th grade when we were playing soccer in gym class and Keith Jones kicked the ball right into his face flattening it. Andy McKay ran up to him and asked if his face hurt...."cuz it's killing me".

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

lukethedrifter wrote:
cards2468 wrote:

Billy Hamilton was the kid down the street when I was growing up. I remember in 5th grade when we were playing soccer in gym class and Keith Jones kicked the ball right into his face flattening it. Andy McKay ran up to him and asked if his face hurt...."cuz it's killing me".
The thought of Keith Jones, who later on went to play football at Illinois and then with the Atlanta Falcons, kicking a ball into my face makes me grimace.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

phins wrote:
jerbyrd25 wrote:
phins wrote:He'll be a CF'er in the end. Can't stay at short in my view, and I wonder if velocity will and better infield defenses will beat him up the way they have Dee Gordon, but he has made big strides in power this year.
Dee Gordon didn't steal bases nearly as frequently as BH. I don't know if anyone has lately.

Henderson stole 95 bases in 134 games in A ball and then 81 in 133 at AA, then spent half a year in AAA before joining the A's.

Vince Coleman is probably the best comparison as he stole 145 bases in A ball in 113 games, then swiped 101 in 152 games in AAA.
Looking at SB totals rather than skills is a terrible way to do it. Essex Snead mean anything to you?

Skills, skills, skills...that's what matters. He's hitting the ball harder and changed perceptions of who he is, but if pitchers with velocity can knock bat out of his hands, he'll go way of Dee Gordon. Regardless of speed...

I feel like stealing bases is a skill especially at the rate Hamilton is doing it (83.3)

Obviously with his high BA (.320), he is even better. Hamilton also has a nifty SLG % at .440.

He has upped his BB% to 12.2% this season and cut his SO% down to 16.4%.

Hamilton has a LD% rate of 15.7% too, which is higher than our very own Kolten Wong's, so it would seem that the SLG% is legit for a leadoff type.

Snead never hit over .235 for the Cards, nor did he steal bases at a great rate either (75.5%).

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Was that a routine flare single to RF?