Re: 2016 MLB Draft Talk

Post by go birds »

call him up

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internat ... wpqdmRx.97

The international signing period is afoot and i'm hoping the cardinals spend big

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

go birds wrote:http://www.baseballamerica.com/internat ... wpqdmRx.97

The international signing period is afoot and i'm hoping the cardinals spend big
Fangraphs doesn't list them amongst the team expected to go over the bonus pool and receive a penalty, which is kind of odd to me. If there is a year to do it, it's this year. They have the smallest bonus pool since they had the best record, and several of the heavy hitters have to sit this one out.

Still wish we'd go after Kevin Maitan, who would've gone top-5 overall in this draft in my opinion. Talent wise, he's above Delvin Perez, but probably ends up at 3B when it is all said and done.

It seems like we have a few deals with ~ top-20 prospects, but we are getting shut out on the elite guys right now. With the Cards track record, it is hard to be too upset though.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

yea i wonder if the signing of Perez eliminates the possibility of signing Maitan. They've been linked to him for forever, but i find it odd as well that they aren't mentioned in that blurb. But like you said, several heavy hitters are sitting out so it seems like the best time to go nuts

phins

Post by phins »

go birds wrote:yea i wonder if the signing of Perez eliminates the possibility of signing Maitan. They've been linked to him for forever, but i find it odd as well that they aren't mentioned in that blurb. But like you said, several heavy hitters are sitting out so it seems like the best time to go nuts
J2 is very different...Maitan has basically been signed to Atlanta for months. It's not the player you're negotiating with really, it's the handlers. There are all kinds of dirty tricks that go on with J2 signees and it's not the players that benefit, it's the handlers.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

we've kinda beat that into the ground so ill just say i will believe the braves already have him signed when i see it.

cards have been scouting him since he was like 14 so it's high time they start winning bidding wars if they wanna get their guy. not gonna necessarily fault them if they don't sign maitan but i always dont wanna see reports of them being a team that is going to spend big to restock the farm and then just goes and looks for diamonds in the rough.

by all accounts they had a really good draft, so that would soften the blow...but they really need to restock the farm with offensive talent.

phins

Post by phins »

go birds wrote:we've kinda beat that into the ground so ill just say i will believe the braves already have him signed when i see it.

cards have been scouting him since he was like 14 so it's high time they start winning bidding wars if they wanna get their guy. not gonna necessarily fault them if they don't sign maitan but i always dont wanna see reports of them being a team that is going to spend big to restock the farm and then just goes and looks for diamonds in the rough.

by all accounts they had a really good draft, so that would soften the blow...but they really need to restock the farm with offensive talent.
I would guess fans of the 24 or whatever clubs that can spend to sign Maitan feel the same way.

My recommendation is to think fondly of the draft because I'm not a huge fan of either of the two big ticket international players we are supposed to be signing- especially Machado.

I'm on record as saying I'd have no problem spending 5+ million on Maitan (which is really $10 million), but it's easy to spend other people's money on a 16 y/o.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Well really im enamored with the idea of getting a franchise SS with a nice bat and we may have gotten that with Perez, so while i'd love to have maitan i won't be TOO disappointed if we don't.

phins, you may have already addressed it but what are your quick thoughts on Perez' offensive upside? We know he will stick at short with his glove, but can he be a Lindor type offensively?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The Red Sox have been banned from signing international prospects this year and had five deals voided for circumventing signing bonus rules.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source-red ... 32545.html

jack76
Everyday Player

Post by jack76 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:The Red Sox have been banned from signing international prospects this year and had five deals voided for circumventing signing bonus rules.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source-red ... 32545.html
We should pick up every one of these prospects the Sox were forced to let go -- I think the last time they screwed up a signing like this, we ended up with Carlos Martinez for pennies on the dollar.