2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: 2019-2020 St Louis Blues Hockey Season

Post by Popeye_Card »

I guess it is also fair to point out that the Blues have played two close games against the other top teams from the west.

The offense is very concerning though. Just not clicking. Despite the 4 goals yesterday, still only 17 SOG. They have got to control the puck better and grind out more scoring opportunities.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yep. Spot on Popeye.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

While I still enjoy watching sports, they’ve definitely taken a back seat to other things in my life at this point. The enthusiasm & excitement just isn’t really there as much as it once was, so when I turned on the Blues the other night plying Vegas I noticed they were playing some type of “round robin” format to which I had no clue what they were even doing.

Vegas had just scored to take the lead, and then scored again to go up by 2 and just turned it off.

It hasn’t been much different w/ the Cards, just losing interest for some reason. This whole season w/ corona just seems kinda pointless.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

cardinalkarp wrote:
August 9 20, 12:35 pm
While I still enjoy watching sports, they’ve definitely taken a back seat to other things in my life at this point. The enthusiasm & excitement just isn’t really there as much as it once was, so when I turned on the Blues the other night plying Vegas I noticed they were playing some type of “round robin” format to which I had no clue what they were even doing.

Vegas had just scored to take the lead, and then scored again to go up by 2 and just turned it off.

It hasn’t been much different w/ the Cards, just losing interest for some reason. This whole season w/ corona just seems kinda pointless.
I can relate to this, but in a different way.

Growing up in the area, my family and I used to listen to every game on the radio. We'd watch the occasional KPLR games, and WGN or national broadcasts. But radio was where it was at for us, and we listened every day.

When I moved away from the St. Louis area in the late 90s, I could no longer watch Cardinals games. I could barely even hear them on the radio. I had to resort to a) only watching them when they were on a national broadcast or b) reading online box scores post-game. I still followed the team and the league (thanks, fantasy baseball) but in a much less time-consuming way.

When I moved back to the area 9 years ago and now had the option to watch every game, I was happy I could, but still didn't because a) I had a small child with another on the way, and b) it wasn't part of my "normal" routine. I'd catch the last couple of innings after putting the kids to bed and doing chores.

Because of COVID, I feel like many throughout the STL area are going through that same adjustment I went through when I moved away. You learn to do other things with your time, while still being a fan of the game. This season in particular seems like an exercise in futility, and also why I have paid even less attention (along with no fantasy league this year, thank goodness).

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Blues start their Cup defense in earnest tonight. I think I am supposed to be pumped for this, but in reality I didn’t even know when they were playing tonight until I checked a few hours ago.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I've been following the Cards and Blues for years the way you did when you moved out of town Mike, via box scores and recaps. Now in an era of 5 minute entire game video recaps, I rarely intently watch/listen to a non-playoff game. Maybe 5-10/year... though that's not including listening to games while doing chores/dishes/driving... that's been a staple for years, so if that counts then I catch roughly... I don't know, a third ish of the games(?) Preferred background noise as it were.

When I was younger I watched or listened to EVERY GAME. Too much other stuff to do nowadays. Playoffs are a different matter though. I guess that makes me a fair ish weather fan, but that's all I've got to offer them.

So with all that, sure, I want them to win, but work is stressful AF right now so I''m not skipping a good night's sleep over a game. #TerribleFan #Don'tCare,StillGoingToBed

That all said, LETS GO BLUES!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

And I’m a gods damned liar and hypocrite. Here I am with the radio on as the game starts. BLUES I JUST CANT QUIT YOU!

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

The blues 4th line tonight is so bad. What was such a big strength last year is now a weakness. Hopefully Barby, Steen, and Blais get healthy/eligible quick

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Remember when I hated the Perron signing? Lol. Ties it at one on the power play late in the first.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Blues seem like they were just kind of sluggish until finally waking up about 10 minutes ago.

ETA: I'm about 10 minutes behind everyone