PRO wrestling thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: PRO wrestling thread

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I really like "Jane" as OC's entrance music much more over "Where is my Mind?" even without knowing the backstory that "Jane" was his music on the indies, especially since the OC persona is based off of Paul Rudd in "Wet Hot American Summer."

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

MITB Spoilers:
[SHOW]
The POV really showed the best and the worst of WWE.

It seems like there’s universal admiration among the superstars for Liv Morgan winning MITB and then cashing in for the title. The crowd has also very much gotten behind her recently, and a lot of times wrestling really is as simple as “do what the crowd wants.” All that said, I was disappointed that once again we won’t have any story for the women’s briefcase. The year they introduced the women’s MITB, 2017, Carmella won it and held it for 287 days. No winner since then has held it for more than a day. It’s often extremely shortsighted, and I’m afraid they’re doing this to make Liv a transitional champion and eventually put the belt back on Charlotte Flair. Also, Ronda Rousey was grossly miscast as a babyface. That Liv could cash in on Ronda after a match and a post-match beatdown and win with a surprise pin and still be a babyface should say something about your booking.

While I see ups and downs with the women, I only see down for the men. I really wasn’t even against the last-minute entrant in the match! But, Theory is a letdown in a big way. We’ll start with the explanation not making any sense. The working story in kayfabe is that Theory was added at the last second by Vince… but Vince has been removed from power. I ask please just make it make sense. In addition, I just don’t think there’s anything special about him, and he’s a sex pest (google “Austin Theory allegations” if you wish.) He’s very muscular so fits the Vince body guy, but he’s ugly and a charisma vacuum. Even without the allegations, I think his ceiling is less appealing Dolph Ziggler. I think my best hope is that they’re paying off the Cena story teased on Raw and that John takes his briefcase at Summerslam to become the All-Time Winningest Champion, but I’d settle for him wasting his opportunity and getting murked by Brock and/or Roman.

On a positive, the Usos vs the Street Profits was a damn good tag match. For a company that doesn’t care about tag team wrestling, they’ve had some great matches this year. It also definitely gained some steam in the back half. Montez Ford is an unbelievable athlete. I know the split for the Street Profits is coming soon so Montez can go on a singles run, but we’re not quite there. I have to think the screwy finish will lead to a rematch at Summerslam with the Profits coming out on top this time. By the time SS hits later this month, the Usos will have completed a year as tag champs, so give them their milestone and then move on.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I don't think this is promo of the year, but it's very good. Also credit where it's due because 2.0 have really only ever looked like goofballs in AEW:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Considering how proud he's acted since the other story broke, I don't anticipate this mattering, but I still hope it does:

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Chris Jericho and Eddie Kingston in a barbed wire death match with the Jericho Appreciation Society suspended in a shark cage so they can’t interfere next Friday.

The shark cage is what makes Jericho a genius. Only he can sprinkle the perfect amount of camp and absurdity like that. Just a perfect touch.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The fact that Bill Simmons was willing to produce a puppet doc about Vince and now won’t be able to release it is wonderful. Rat.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill wrote:
July 9 22, 9:10 am
Chris Jericho and Eddie Kingston in a barbed wire death match with the Jericho Appreciation Society suspended in a shark cage so they can’t interfere next Friday.

The shark cage is what makes Jericho a genius. Only he can sprinkle the perfect amount of camp and absurdity like that. Just a perfect touch.
The man is the king of gimmick matches. Mimosa Mayhem vs Orange Cassidy from 2020 might be right up your alley.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I gave myself a fun little thought experiment since Tony Khan said he hopes one day to do a joint PPV with WWE. What would a Survivor Series 5 vs 5 match look like, if the match was faces vs. heels and not WWE vs. AEW? I did both men's and women's matches. I left off Sasha Banks because she has been removed internally from the WWE roster according to reports, and there's no indication at this time that she is going to AEW. While I did include some injured wrestlers, I left off Kenny Omega and Big E because it's unclear if they'll ever wrestle again.

Best I could come up with:

CM Punk
Jon Moxley
Brock Lesnar
Cody Rhodes
Hangman Page

(HMs: Drew McIntyre, Bobby Lashley, Riddle, Wardlow, Eddie Kingston)
vs.

MJF
Bryan Danielson
Roman Reigns
Seth Rollins
Chris Jericho

(HMs: Kevin Owens, Miro)

Bianca Belair
Liv Morgan
Asuka
Thunder Rosa
Toni Storm

(HMs: Ruby Soho, Kris Statlander)
vs.

Becky Lynch
Charlotte Flair
Bayley
Dr. Britt Baker DMD
Jade Cargill

(HMs: Serena Deeb, Rhea Ripley)

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 9 22, 6:18 pm
thrill wrote:
July 9 22, 9:10 am

The man is the king of gimmick matches. Mimosa Mayhem vs Orange Cassidy from 2020 might be right up your alley.
One week until I get to see daddy magic v sharks. Also speaking of OC, the match with wardlow was a) awesome and b) made me finally enjoy a wardlow match for the first time