2022 World Cup

A forum for non-baseball sports
BrntOrngStud
Veteran Player

Re: 2022 World Cup

Post by BrntOrngStud »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
November 26 22, 7:15 pm
I know nothing about soccer, coaching it, strategories, etc.

But yeah you’d think they’d start dest and the two thors in the backfield, then every offensive weapon they have. Don’t wait until there’s 20-30 minutes left.

The goal should be to score two goals in the first 10 minutes.
I'm an Iranian-American and we play pretty defensively. Other than the England game where players minds were clearly elsewhere, it will be difficult for the US to score. But you are absolutely right. The US has to attack and Iran will let the US have the ball and hope to leave US vulnerable on a counter. The US needs to start Gio Reyna so that they can get help unlocking the low block. They will need Gio's creativity to do so. Unless Iran plays freer like they did against Wales, then Reyna is less necessary.

But if the US gets a goal early, that will force Iran to attack which will leave Iran vulnerable and then the game will play to the US advantage since US has faster players. Huge game. Both from a sports perspective and the huge political backdrop.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Great news, guys! I caught the RSV going around so I’m going to be home for Iran game. I can barely talk but still extremely worth it.

I think we’re going to see a similar setup to the England game, with Weston creating chaos in the half spaces on the right, and a Weah/Reyna combining with Dest to overload the right wing.

I would love to see a different tactical setup with Puli or Weah as a false 9 to really take the game to them on the ball because I think their game plan will be to sit back and defend for a 0-0. I have zero clue what the off-field nonsense from the us soccer social media team will add in terms of pressure. If anything, I think it favors the US because I don’t see our players caring about it at all, and it only further complicates the dynamics in the Iran team. Quieroz is great at packing it in for a 0-0, but will the players emotionally want to come out and take the game to the US? If they do, we will win. If they don’t, we should win anyway. We are better. The only X factors I see are 1) they only need a draw which suits their coach and tactics and 2) we just aren’t creating enough chances. Ferreira is our best xG creator at striker, so maybe it’s his shot.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Looked up the lines the other day, and I think the US was +105 to win, Draw was +240, and Iran win was +280. Point being, of the 3 outcomes possible, vegas has the US winning as the most likely, but not a favorite for that to happen. Doesn't mean anything, but that's what vegas has to offer.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

That Tyler Adams, man. Complete stud. What a pro.

When the Iranian state journalist asked Gregg why the US refuses to remove a battleship from outside Iranian waters, I’m betting he was just relieved not to get asked about Gio Reyna again.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Very impressive from Adams.

I'm a little disappointed extra time has just regressed back to 6 minutes, regardless.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

This World Cup Tonight with Ochocinco and the Spice Girl is just awful and awkward. I've tried watching a few times and just can't get through the show.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I'm not sure, Gregg. I think you gotta mix up the not-scoring attack. Get in Ferreira (he put three on the Timbers once in one half) or Reyna (again I'm not familiar with him, but there must be a reason everyone wants him in).

I hope he at least is quick to the bench as needed.

Zimmerman is banged up? How are we supposed to defend with only one manbun?
[SHOW]

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

This game is going to be a street fight. Tactics, lineups…none of it matters more than WHOS GOT THAT DOG IN EM

Let’[expletive] GOOOOOOO

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

No Reyna. Interesting.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I have a thing for undersized box to box firemen with big smiles. Nice feature on Tyler Adams. That showdown with the Iranian State journo was an epic moment.