2022 World Cup

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: 2022 World Cup

Post by thrill »

mikechamp wrote:
November 29 22, 3:52 pm
So, what's the speculation on why Reyna and Ferreira are getting so little playing time?
Ferreira isn’t good enough to wonder about his minutes. Sargent is better and Haji is the alternative physical profile when you want height.

The Gio situation is completely inscrutable.
Parsing this image for the next four days. WHAT IS GOING ON WITH GIO?!? The only thing that makes sense is he’s banged up but they’re saying he isn’t because they think they’re Belichek.

BrntOrngStud
Veteran Player

Post by BrntOrngStud »

Regardless of what happened, this was a win-win game for me.

I am seeing some criticism that US should have played more aggressive in the second half and while I understand it, IMO, Berhalter got it right. After taking the lead, he made Iran try to attack which is something that they don't feel comfortable doing. And the US defense has been very solid in this World Cup. However, if Berhalter tries to bring in Gio in the second half and Iran's defense holds and counters with a goal (which is Iran's strength), US is likely out of the tournament.

Great job USMNT! Let's beat the Netherlands. I think US's game matches up better against them and US should play more open. There are reports that Iranians celebrated the US goal with fireworks in Iran. Largely because they viewed this team as the regime's team.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The thing about Berhalter is that he is getting his starting lineups and his tactics right, but his subs are late and leave much to be desired. The most frustrating thing about him as manager is that, while he has gotten these calls right when it mattered (including the Gold Cup and Nations League), you have to wonder what the hell he was doing the rest of the time. Why waste so many starts on Zach Steffen when it was obvious to everyone that Matt Turner is better. Why waste so much time trying to implement a Pep system when you're going to play defensively when it matters? Why leave Tim Ream out of camps for so long only to have him be your starter? Why did he never call in Shaq Moore and then when the Cup comes around, he's all of a sudden the first wingback off the bench? All of a sudden you think he's good? I can't really blame him for the inconsistency of availability in our attack over the years, which really prevented him from ever having a fully fit best 11 available. He generally does the right things when it counts, but he threw away a lot of time on pointless experiments and honestly continues to do so. There's no world in which Shaq Moore is a better option than Joe Scally.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I watched the US vs. Iran game yesterday. I tried. I really did. But, it was very boring. I just don't get it.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Messi does not seem to be very good at PKs. Or, put another way, he doesn't convert as much as you would think he would.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
November 30 22, 1:53 pm
I watched the US vs. Iran game yesterday. I tried. I really did. But, it was very boring. I just don't get it.
Agreed.

And I’m sure there was something to what they were doing, but going into defensive only mode doesn’t ever seem to be a good approach.

I don’t like it in hockey, and soccer seems similar in that fashion just w/ a lot less scoring.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

cardinalkarp wrote:
November 30 22, 2:57 pm
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
November 30 22, 1:53 pm
Agreed.

And I’m sure there was something to what they were doing, but going into defensive only mode doesn’t ever seem to be a good approach.

I don’t like it in hockey, and soccer seems similar in that fashion just w/ a lot less scoring.
Too bad. No one has to like soccer, but if you’d like to pursue it more, I’d challenge you to go to an MLS game. Being in the crowd when the pressure is released with a goal is a singular feeling.

The excitement of yesterday’s game was all in the tension, like a pitchers’ duel. Again though, don’t let anyone tell you you have to like it. I played at a recreational level and went to games a bit as a kid, but because there was precious little soccer to watch in my youth, it took me a while (many years ago, now) to buy in to the entertainment value of watching on television.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

womp womp

Who cares if you don't like a sport.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

thrill wrote:
November 30 22, 4:20 pm
womp womp

Who cares if you don't like a sport.
I disagree with the sentiment, if I’m picking it up correctly.

This is a high water mark for US soccer, so I think hearing that people tried and failed to appreciate it is notable.

It’s hard to acquire a new appreciation for anything as an adult. I’m glad people are trying.

I think I’m at the tail end of generations of Americans for whom soccer was for playing but not watching, simply because it wasn’t on tv at all. I came online living overseas and watching EPL in the late 00s. More than half the kids (probably, nothing scientific here) I played with could give half a [expletive] about soccer.

I don’t see this much anymore, and I don’t believe anyone here is guilty. But it’s fascinating to revisit the snobby soccer fan talking about sophistication and the surly American who demands three minutes of light beer ads between each seven second increment of sport.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Yeah, I never said I didn’t like the sport.

Just have a hard time watching/getting into watching it on tv.