NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: NFL Season

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I don't have to use a 2-year sample size, I can and have used a larger sample size to show that the NFL has less competitive balance than the uncapped MLB. The cap only exists to drive wages down.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 23 23, 12:03 pm
I don't have to use a 2-year sample size, I can and have used a larger sample size to show that the NFL has less competitive balance than the uncapped MLB. The cap only exists to drive wages down.
Welll.... There's a subtle distinction here that I think is relevant. Make sure you account for market size and individual team revenues when you do your analysis. I am assuming there are wide differences in team revenues in the NFL like there are in MLB. If that is NOT true, I'll shut up.

But the competitive balance without the cap means you get MLB imbalance where all the big market teams with much larger revenue streams than the small market teams can spend the money to stay competitve.

With the cap, you get imbalances that track with QG / coach combos as someone pointed out. Brady makes the Patriots unstoppable for 10+ years, Patrick Mahomes does the same for the Chiefs, etc. As was also pointed out, if the NFL was MLB, Mahomes would be throwing passes for the Patriots or Giants instead of staying with the Chiefs.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I mean this just goes back to what owners want to do with their money, not what they can do.

Regardless, all data shows there is less parity in NFL than MLB.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 23 23, 12:03 pm

You used a tine frame that began with the greatest football player (and possibly the greatest coach) that the NFL hss ever known. That skewed the numbers Also, "competitive balance" to me doesn't necessarily mean that a different team wins every year. It means that market size doesn't mean squat.

Regardless, we know that teams in markets like KC and CIN and Jacksonville and Green Bay can compete with teams in markets like New York and LA and Boston. We know that Denver and LA aren't going to dominate the league, even though they have the richest owners. We know that money doesn't matter one bit when it comes to being able to compete. Never do we discuss dollars and cents on the football forums. It's beautiful.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I’ve used other guidelines before 🤷🏻‍♂️

Simple truth is that the payroll cap hasn’t made the NFL more competitive

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 23 23, 3:46 pm
I’ve used other guidelines before 🤷🏻‍♂️

Simple truth is that the payroll cap hasn’t made the NFL more competitive

Of course it has.

Are MLB teams in Cincy and KC competing for championships on a regular basis?

Again, without a cap, Mahomes goes to the highest bidder. As it stands, guys like Mahomes and Burrow and Herbert are likely to play thru the primes of their career with the teams that drafted them, rather than bolting to the highest bidder. It makes for a better fan connection.

If you're concerned about millionaires missing out on a few million bucks from billionaires, then I can understand why you'd want no cap. That's literally all that you accomplish by not having a cap.
Personally, I'm more concerned about fan experience. The cap works great for fans. Football fans talk about the players and the game strategies in literally every thread. No discussion of salaries.
Last edited by Socnorb11 on January 23 23, 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Also, if bidding wars don't matter, then why do you care if Dewitt is partaking in them?

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

Philly and KC in the Super Bowl.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

Aaron Rodgers traded to the Jets.

Packers Receive

Jets 2023 1st-round pick (#13)
Jets 2023 2nd-round pick (#42, originally from Browns)
Jets 2023 6th-round pick (#207)
Conditional 2024 draft pick — 2nd rounder that increases to a 1st-rounder if Rodgers plays at least 65% of snaps in 2023

Jets Receive

Aaron Rodgers
Packers 2023 1st-round pick (#15)
Packers 2023 5th-round pick (#170)

It looks like the Packers got a haul, but I don't trust Packers GM Brian Gutekunst to turn all these picks into gold.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Belicheck is about to be... sacked.

Without Brady and cheating, he was just a run-of-the-mill coach.