vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Re: XFL returns to the Lou

Post by vinsanity »

CardsofSTL wrote: ↑
March 12 23, 5:45 pm
That attendance set a record by the way
[SHOW]

I'm a little surprised. Having moved away before the Rams, what's driving the football interest in STL?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

People like football.

I watched/slept through part of the game on TV and was surprised how full the stadium was.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

vinsanity wrote: ↑
March 13 23, 12:21 am
March 12 23, 5:45 pm
That attendance set a record by the way
[SHOW]

I'm a little surprised. Having moved away before the Rams, what's driving the football interest in STL?
The battlehawks are winning and STL is giving the NFL the finger. πŸ–•

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
March 13 23, 7:41 am
People like football.
No [expletive]. Yet the city didn't show this much relative passion for the NFL. They've put up more fight for MLS than NFL in the last decade. So
March 13 23, 9:07 pm
STL is giving the NFL the finger. πŸ–•
seems to be the only answer.

Nothing like a pyrrhic victory.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I have to call BS here a bit.

StL has proven to be able to support football here WHEN OWNERS EVEN REMOTELY GIVE A SH!T.

This excerpt is from Bernie Miklasz on the Scoops With Danny Mac site:

This is so much fun for the fans – these rebels with a cause. Nothing in sports symbolizes the inherent corruption and greed of an NFL empire that repeatedly burned St. Louis and dumped on the fans while on the way out.

Multiple generations of St. Louis football fans have nothing to apologize for. In 49 seasons of NFL football here – Cardinals, then Rams – the teams produced only 16 winning records and qualified for the postseason only eight times.

Over the final nine seasons of the Rams’ stay in St. Louis, the fans were subjected to on-field failure and futility. The nine-year disengagement – 2007 through 2015 – was a spirit-depleting failure, with the Rams having the fewest victories (42) and poorest winning percentage (.295) in the NFL over that time. And even in these worst of times the Rams regularly drew crowds of 50,000 or more.

The Battlehawks are a balm that makes football a happy experience in St. Louis. That’s one side. The other side is the XFL tapping into the negative-but-positive energy by providing a platform for protest. The Battlehawks show that love and hate can co-exist, and this unique mix of emotional fervor is working.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

March 14 23, 2:16 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
March 13 23, 7:41 am
People like football.
No [expletive]. Yet the city didn't show this much relative passion for the NFL. They've put up more fight for MLS than NFL in the last decade. So
March 13 23, 9:07 pm
STL is giving the NFL the finger. πŸ–•
seems to be the only answer.

Nothing like a pyrrhic victory.
Data shows you are wrong Vin...

Rams average attendance by year in St. Louis:

2015 (last year in St. Louis): 52,402
2014: 57,018
2013: 56,957
2012: 56,703
2011: 56,394
2010: 52,922

2001 (Last year for Greatest Show on Turf era): 59,355

Not much of a drop-off from their historic run from 1999 - 2001 to the dreadful era of 2010 and beyond.

St. Louis supported the NFL. Even with a [expletive] team. [expletive] the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Fat_Bulldog wrote: ↑
March 15 23, 11:28 am

Not to pick nits but I said 'relative passion' not attendance because I did check those numbers and chose my words carefully. I know they supported the team and I agree completely with [expletive] Kroenke and [expletive] the NFL.

I get that social media is more expansive now than say 2006 but I just don't remember the fervor for the 2008 Rams matching that of MLS and XFL from the city. It was just interesting to me.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

March 15 23, 5:17 pm
March 15 23, 11:28 am

Not to pick nits but I said 'relative passion' not attendance because I did check those numbers and chose my words carefully. I know they supported the team and I agree completely with [expletive] Kroenke and [expletive] the NFL.

I get that social media is more expansive now than say 2006 but I just don't remember the fervor for the 2008 Rams matching that of MLS and XFL from the city. It was just interesting to me.
Are we talking about 2006 or 2008? Also, the Rams were not a good product in either of those years.

This is the first year for MLS in St. Louis. So, yeah, there is going to be a buzz about it. The XFL means professional football in St. Louis. And St. Louis supports football.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

March 17 23, 7:45 am
Are we talking about 2006 or 2008? Also, the Rams were not a good product in either of those years.

This is the first year for MLS in St. Louis. So, yeah, there is going to be a buzz about it. The XFL means professional football in St. Louis. And St. Louis supports football.
Any year. Outside of 99-01, I don't recall as much passion for the NFL as I've seen for XFL. That's it. That's my experience.

I was curious if anyone had insight to why.

Apparently it's just as a "[expletive] you" to the NFL for letting the team leave.

It's not some dig on STL. It's not a criticism or suggesting that it's "their fault" the Rams left. I see more passion for the XFL than I recalled seeing 90% of the seasons the Rams were there. In no way am I saying STL didn't support the Rams or go to games. In no way am I knocking STL. It was a observation so instead of making assumptions, I asked a question.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Battlehawks tease relocation to LA in viral April Fools’ Day joke