The Democrats just swept Wisconsin...

A forum for non-baseball sports
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

The Democrats just swept Wisconsin...

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Football reference trips up GOP hopeful

LAKE GENEVA, Wis. - Note to Sen. Sam Brownback (news, bio, voting record): In Packerland, it's not cool to diss Brett Favre.

The GOP presidential hopeful drew boos and groans Friday at the Wisconsin Republican Party convention when he used a football analogy to talk about the need to focus on families.

"This is fundamental blocking and tackling," he said. "This is your line in football. If you don't have a line, how many passes can Peyton Manning complete? Greatest quarterback, maybe, in NFL history."

Oops, wrong team to mention in Wisconsin, once described by Gov. Tommy Thompson as the place "where eagles soar, Harleys roar and Packers score."

Realizing what he had said, the Kansas Republican slumped at the podium and put his head in his hands.

"That's really bad," he said. "That will go down in history. I apologize."

His apology brought a smattering of applause and laughter. He tried to recover, saying former Packer Bart Starr may be the greatest of all time, but the crowd was still restless.

"Let's take Favre then," Brownback said. "The Packers are great. I'm sorry. How many passes does he complete without a line?"

"All of them!" more than one person yelled from the back.

"I'm not sure how I recover from this," Brownback said. "My point is we've got to rebuild the family. I'll get off this."
Whoops. The backpedaling is great though.

cabby7588
All-Star

Post by cabby7588 »

BYEAW

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

brownback is an idiot...

ive grown up with that guy as my senator....

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

Jocephus wrote:brownback is an idiot...

ive grown up with that guy as my senator....
I tell you what, though- I liked his reaction to his gaffe.